Textbooks and Nine to Fives

Ethan Flores Rothmund, Writer

Highschool is a time in a person’s life that is marked by increased responsibility and self discovery. As students move through their highschool experience, they are defined by the workload that they give themselves as well as the way that that workload is handled. One other out of school responsibility that students choose to define themselves with is the employment of a paying job.

A job can help grow a student’s sense of responsibility, cultivate better time management skills and develop organizational abilities. Students that choose to get a job during high school also gain an early sense of the all important work-life balance.

Take for example Gianna Spadavecchia, a senior at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School who manages school, a sport, and a job that has a direct connection to her dream career path of working in the medical field.

“[Having a job] makes me time manage because I have an obligation to go work and help out, so it keeps me on top of my game,” senior Spadavecchia said.

Spadavecchia works at a cardiologist’s office, faxing papers and doing anything that is required of her. Students like Spadavecchia are fortunate enough to reap the benefits of being employed while still being in school. In fact, Spadavecchia’s current job will no doubt help her in her future career path, and the same can be said about many of the other jobs that students seeking employment find themselves.

The truth of the matter is that students have a lot going on. Extracurriculars, classwork, exam dates, social lives and all the other tasks associated with being a student are usually more than enough to stress out the average student. Taking this into consideration, the addition of a job can seem potentially harmful to a student’s well being. But somehow, students that choose to seek employment during their teenage years find a balance.

Senior at MSD, Giovanni Urena is a student who works in the food service industry. As a Pei Wei employee, he has had to find a balance that allows him to manage school, angry customers, complicated order requests and so much more

“I make sure I take a lot of time to take care of myself,” senior Urena said. “Simple naps, or not working while I eat, or enjoying a book every now and then, it does push me to work later, but at least my stress levels are lower.”

There is a lesson to be learned from students like Urena and Spadavecchia. Students that choose to add a job to their already busy schedules can teach others a lesson in time management, an amazing sense of responsibility and effective stress control. Students that have jobs tfeel there are indeed enough hours in the day; everyone just needs to find the will to make them.