[Brief] Dance Marathon reveals the amount of money they’ve raised for Nicklaus Children’s Hospital on Mar. 12

Kelly Cooke, Writer

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School’s Dance Marathon chapter will be hosting their biggest event of the school year on Saturday, Mar. 12, in the school gym. The event starts at 11 a.m. and will end at around 6 p.m.

Dance Marathon is an organization that collects donations for children from the Nicklaus Children’s Hospital in Miami. The event costs $20 per person.

The organization has raised money throughout the year by hosting many events throughout the school year, even calling upon school clubs and honor societies to participate in the endeavor. Dance Marathon is supported by colleges and high schools all around the country.

“I’ve learned that my students have the ability to do great things for a big cause. They have raised so much money to support an amazing cause,” English teacher and Dance Marathona advisor Chelsea Briggs said.

At the end of the event, the total amount raised will be unveiled. The number review will be displayed at 5:30 p.m., announcing how much money Dance Marathon has raised throughout the whole year. All of the money raised will go directly to the Nicklaus Children’s Hospital to help pay for surgery, supplies and equipment.

Merchandise can also be purchased, including hair braiding and henna. Teachers from MSD will also be participating in a lip sync battle as a form of entertainment in this event.

“I am very excited for the Dance Marathon event because we have been working really hard this whole year. We are going to see exactly what we have been working for on Saturday,” senior Isabel Kilman said.

The coordinators of the large-scale event have planned many activities to keep participants entertained, such as by playing games and hearing stories from miracle children and their families. Additionally, there will be Miami Dolphins players in attendance, a teacher lip sync battle and more.

Miracle children and their families are people who have survived some sort of illness and are now living their lives to the fullest. They will also share their stories and experiences with the people attending the Dance Marathon event.