[Brief] MSD JROTC students to host blood drive for people in need

Lyla Sachs, Arts & Leisure editor

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School’s JROTC program hosts a yearly blood drive that has become a tradition for the school. The blood drive is donating its earnings to those in need and is not limited to the school and open to all Parkland and Coral Springs residents. This year, the donation falls on Wednesday, Sept. 21 at 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the senior parking lot.

Sponsoring the blood drive is OneBlood, a non-profit organization that dedicates its time to hosting blood drives throughout Florida. OneBlood’s mission is to enhance the health and wellbeing of others through their work. The non-profit is mostly recognized through their big, red buses usually stationed outside in parking lots. Their requirements to donate blood are to be at least 16 years of age and 110 pounds or more.

Stationed outside of room 509, JROTC students handed out forms for people who would like to donate blood. All that is necessary is a parent signature and the OneBlood requirements: over the age of 16 and over 110 lbs. Refreshments, a cancer awareness t-shirt and a wellness checkup will be provided for those who give blood. The wellness check includes a blood pressure and temperature check, iron count and cholesterol screening.

To learn more information about the donation process, OneBlood has provided brochures that are being handed out along with the permission forms. They add information about the donation procedure and getting into contact with the person people have donated their blood to.

One pint of blood can save up to three lives, which is the goal for everyone involved in the blood drive. OneBlood has saved many people around Florida and the MSD JROTC students bring it to Parkland in hopes of doing the same.