[Brief] MSD Math Honors Society holds weekly after school tutoring

Jessie Gesund, Associate Editor-In-Chief

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School’s Mu Alpha Theta (Math Honors Society, MAO) hosted their first tutoring session of the 2022-2023 school year on Wednesday, Sept. 21. Inducted members of the society tutored students on a variety of math subjects, including Algebra 1 and 2, Geometry, Pre-Calculus, etc. Meetings will be held weekly on Wednesdays after school from 2:45 p.m. to 3:45 p.m. in the media center.

MAO math tutoring is available to all students in all grades at MSD. When students arrive at the media center for their tutoring session, they are paired with a member of the society who can provide assistance in their specific area of study. Students are matched for one-on-one tutoring or can have a peer join their session. Depending on the availability of tutors, students may have a different tutor for every session they attend.

Students are not required to sign up for tutoring, all that is necessary is their presence in the media center on time.

In order to become a member of the society, students had to fill out an application in August. It is a requirement for accepted members to attend two tutoring sessions per semester. They are issued two service hours per tutoring session they administer.

“MAO is a great opportunity for students to get extra help with math and it is a great opportunity for me to learn how to be a better helper and peer,” senior and member of MAO Ashlyn Watson said.

For more information, students can talk to the society’s sponsor, math teacher Yosleny Valera. For updates on kickbacks, general meetings, tutoring sessions and other events, students can follow the official MSD Mu Alpha Theta Instagram.