The Eagle Eye Editorial Board offers advice to the freshman class

Graphic by Dara Rosen

Welcome to the next four years of your life. Hopefully, you have had an easy transition to high school thus far, if not, just remember to stay positive — it can only get better. There is no doubt that high school can be an intimidating change; from academic pressures to social struggles, the stress is sometimes all too real. Do not be blinded by the troubles of the moment, before you know it, it will all be over and you will be venturing onto the next chapter of your life.

Now is the time to get out of your comfort zone. Get in touch with your interests by joining a cool club, taking a weird elective and meeting some new friends. Just get yourself out there and you will be sure to find your niche, even if it is not somewhere you initially expected. From every experience, accomplishment and failure that you are bound to face comes a new perspective that will make you a smarter, stronger, better person. That may sound cliche, but it could not be more true.

Now more than ever, MSD is all about moving forward. Your presence on campus has already demonstrated your first signs of resilience and acceptance, and it has not gone unnoticed. Your class is a beacon of hope, a symbol that life continues even when the unimaginable takes place. Do not forget the courage that you have demonstrated thus far as you overcome whatever obstacles life may bring to you.

One last thing: remember to be considerate towards the upperclassmen. They have endured more than most can imagine. However, as an eagle, you have entered a school that values standing as one. Sure, sometimes we like to have fun with you guys, but just know that everyone here was in your shoes at one point.

You will not be a freshman forever; you only get to live this time of your life once, so never take a single moment for granted. High school is the time to grow and explore your interests, but also have fun during the process of maturity. There may be tough times in your life, but you have entered a community where there is more love and support to hold up each and every single one you — all you have to do is ask.

Welcome to the nest young eagles, you are in for the flight of your life.

This story was originally published in the October 2018 Eagle Eye print edition.