MSD gathers supplies for Bahama residents hit by Hurricane Dorian

Students gather and organize general items for the collection drive. Photo by Darian Williams

The dangerous eye of Category 4 Hurricane Dorian settled in the Bahamas but gradually grew to a deadly Category 5 Hurricane. Dorian was the most powerful and slow hurricane to ever hit the Bahamas. It stayed in the Bahamas destroying the land for days and as a result, there have been at least thirty deaths, but the numbers continue to rise. In addition, hundreds of people are still reported missing.

The Key Club and Student Government Association at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School collected donations for the Bahamas Friday, Sept. 6 and Saturday, Sept. 7. 

The Bahamas suffered many tragedies from Hurricane Dorian. It destroyed many homes and flooded many streets, making many homes unlivable. 

“I am helping to organize this drive because of what happened in the Bahamas is heart-breaking,” Key Club President senior Rachel Nattis said. “These people lost everything in the storm and have to figure out how they will survive, where they will live and how they will slowly go back to their normal lives. However, this can only be done with the help of others and I knew that if I wasn’t able to directly go to the Bahamas and help these people, then the next best option was donating as many items I can to assist those who need it the most.” 

The SGA and Key Club collected general, medical and hygiene supplies to donate to the Bahamas. They collected general items such as batteries, face/dust masks, flashlights, extension cords, trash bags, zip ties, rubber bands, paper towels and disposable plates/cups/utensils.

“We bought all of these supplies in case Dorian hit South Florida and although we were lucky, the Bahamas weren’t that fortunate so the supplies should not go to waste,” senior Jared Block said. “They need all the help we can give.”

For some people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, this is very personal, since many students have family and close friends that live in the Bahamas. There has been lots of heartache and tears over the past few days.

After MSD receives all of the donations, they will drop off the donations to a textbook warehouse, which will then be collected on a cruise ship to be sent directly to the Bahamas.