Bryan Nguyen

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School’s new science teacher Ariel Haskin smiles for the camera as she looks forward to the 2021-2022 school year.

Flying into the Eagle’s nest

Entering into the Eagle’s nest, Ariel Haskins swoops in with her love of science. Haskins is the new physical science and biology teacher at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Before living in Florida, Haskins was located in Bedford, Michigan, graduating from the University of Michigan.

Haskins was first inspired to be a teacher due to her attraction to the social aspect of the job. She has a strong passion for the sciences, being that she was a pre-med student in college and nationally board certified in any science from 6th grade through 12th grade.

“I think especially in a time like this, it’s important to keep those interactions productive and efficient, because they know we’re coming off of virtual [school],” Haskins said. “It’s so nice to be back in person and be able to reach students that way.”

With past teaching experience, Haskins likes to incorporate the skills she learned from being in pre-med into her lessons. Her background has helped Haskins better facilitate her students’ academic development. Haskins’s previous major in biopsychology allows her to have a good toolkit for presenting information to her students for them to understand.

After teaching at a private school in New Orleans for 13 years, Haskins moved to Florida to be in closer proximity to her mother. Haskins jumped at the opportunity to have an interview this past summer, having always wanted to teach at MSD and wanting a change from the private school setting.

So far, Haskins is enjoying her time teaching at MSD and feels very happy and honored to be here. MSD goes beyond her expectations due to the fantastic staff and students.

“The students are amazing, and the staff is so talented… it is leaps and bounds above expectation,” Haskins said.

Haskin also participates in activities outside of the school grounds. She is a coach for cheerleading, a tutor, enjoys cooking, and loves arts and crafts.

“Cheerleading is a wonderful sport that taught me the highest level of discipline… forever Go Blue!” Haskins said.

Haskins is a caring, thoughtful, and energetic teacher who enjoys teaching all of her students at MSD. With her past skills, and love of science, Haskin has integrated both to teach her students and have a school year that exceeds her expectations.

Eagle Eye News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$655
$1200