Bryan Nguyen

Marjory Stoneman Douglas’ newest addition to the science department, Yosleny Valera, looks forward to the 2021-2022 school year.

Working her way through the minds of her students

Teachers are role models who shape the person that their students will become in the future. New to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, math teacher Yosleny Valera continues to learn how to navigate through the school’s halls and our students’ minds.

Valera graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor’s degree in science and math education. In middle school, she discovered her love of algebra and was inspired to become a teacher. Valera wanted to help other children learn and excel in math.

“In the first place, it was just loving math and helping kids understand what I understood,” Valera said.

Originally, she worked at a learning center called International Association of Mathematics and Computer Simulation (IMACS). IMACS is an after-school learning center where children can go to further their knowledge on what they’re learning by getting tutored. After working there for seven years, Valera decided to look for a new job when the center became fully virtual. She discovered MSD through a previous teacher who put in a good word for her.

Valera is happy to start the year at MSD because she loves the students and the safe and welcoming environment that the school provides. Her favorite part about teaching is being there for her students and wanting them to reach their full potential.

“[I go] through the material and make sure I understand it beyond what I expect the students to understand,” Valera said.

Valera is currently experimenting to find a teaching style that best works for her students. So far she has included note-taking and group activities to her lessons.

In her free time, Valera enjoys working out and spending time at CrossFit. She is passionate about her two chihuahua mixes and playing with them. She also loves spending time with her husband.

Valera has confidence that she will be a good fit at MSD and hopes to exceed the expectations that she has set for herself.

Eagle Eye News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$655
$1200