SGA Executive Board members elected for the 2021-2022 school year

Every year, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School’s Student Government Association holds their annual officer board elections, in which officers are chosen to lead their student body for the school year. The positions include president, first and second vice presidents, treasurer, historian, corresponding secretary and recording secretary.

The week before elections, candidates campaigned on campus and over social media. Signs advertising the candidates were posted all around MSD’s main courtyard and throughout hallways. Additionally, candidates posted on their own social media accounts, with friends reposting on sites such as Instagram and Snapchat. The Eagle Eye’s Instagram reposted such fliers upon the request of candidates, who directly messaged their posters. 

This year’s elections for the 2021-2022 SGA board were held on Tuesday, Oct. 19 and results were posted on Wednesday, Oct. 20. Students were able to access the ballot through an announcement on the Canvas homepage of their graduating class (ex.: Class of 2024), where the results of the election were displayed. 

Assisted by Student Government teacher Danielle Driscoll, the elected board plans a multitude of activities for the student body throughout the school year, like this year’s prom for the class of 2022. The board is usually responsible for planning all events that pertain to the senior body of MSD. Last year, the SGA board planned the “Season of Seniors” events for their last few months of high school that included their prom alternative, considering the 2020-2021 school year was fully online, and the annual graduation parade.

The board also hosts different fundraisers throughout the year for different local charities, like the 2021 Harvest Drive from Oct. 22 to Nov. 12 which provides food items for less fortunate families and individuals in the area for the upcoming holiday season.

The winners of the election include Ethan Rabess as president, Dylan Minevich as first vice president, Molly Conn as second vice president, Jamie Goldberg as recording secretary, Laura Dobel as corresponding secretary, Zoey Handfinger as treasurer and Daniella DiGiorgio as historian.

This is the first year completely back on campus since the COVID-19 pandemic forced schools across the nation into virtually learning, making it extra important for the SGA board who aim to make it a memorable year. Meet the SGA board and learn about their goals for the 2021-2022 school year below:

Newcomer takes the nest
Promoting positivity
Making fun a priority
A win for Jamie Goldberg
Chosen to correspond
A friendly face to lead
Capturing history

Eagle Eye News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$655
$1200