Glory Lee

Leading the new crew Ethan Rabess, Senior class President leads the new SGA board.

Newcomer takes the nest

Senior Ethan Rabess elected SGA President during his first year in leadership

How does an athlete, involved student and senior applying to college balance their schedule? Ask 2021-2022 Student Government Association President Ethan Rabess.

Rabess was elected by the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student body to serve as their student government president for the 2021-2022 school year. This being his first year involved in SGA, it was a shocking, yet celebratory win.

“I wasn’t really thinking about the outcome of the election; I was taking it day by day knowing that whoever won deserved it and would be right for the job,” Rabess said. “I was beyond shocked when I won, dropping my jaw, and almost my phone, to the ground with pure excitement and happiness.”

Rabess is ready to take on his role and is working to make this school year better than ever. As SGA president, Rabess is responsible for working with his fellow board members to increase student participation in events around the school and to make sure everyone’s voice is heard.

“I try my best to be as inclusive as possible to ensure a great year for all MSD students,” Rabess said. “I pay close attention to what the students enjoy most and make sure to incorporate things that they like.”

While handling the duties of SGA president, Rabess is involved in a multitude of extracurriculars. For one, he is the founder of the MSD Sports Media Club, the treasurer for the Rowdy Eagles Club and the Public Relations officer for the Investment Club. He is an active member in the Make Our Schools Safe Again club and plays for the MSD varsity lacrosse team.

In addition to his extended list of activities, Rabess participated in the Not My Daughter fundraiser, which raised over $100,000 towards Breast Cancer Awareness.

Oftentimes, Rabess is extremely busy between SGA duties, clubs, lacrosse and applying for colleges. He finds time for watching sports and spending time with his family, yet is diligent in his leadership roles and responsibilities.

“I organize my time by keeping a calendar in my room with everything I have going on each week,” Rabess said. “I make sure to stay calm and not overstress myself.”

In the upcoming school months, Rabess plans to make sure every student is involved in school events and spirit activities. He hopes to keep school traditions, such as the annual Pig Bowl and homecoming week, going and to encourage all grades to display their Eagle pride.

Rabess is eager for what is to come for the remainder of the school year. As a new face on the leadership board, he hopes to bring fresh ideas to the student body. Despite having a big year ahead of him, he has all the potential and leadership skills to make this school year “the best one yet.”

Eagle Eye News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$655
$1200