Sophie Goodman

Senior Laura Dobel juggles both SGA and yearbook management responsibilties.

Chosen to correspond

Senior Laura Dobel reflects on her new beginning as SGA’s Corresponding Secretary

Laura Dobel makes her way to help lead her fellow students and club members through her newly elected position. Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School senior Laura Dobel has been elected as the 2021-2022 Student Government Association corresponding secretary.

As SGA corresponding secretary, Dobel is in charge of sending meeting notices to executive board members, working with administrators to build propositions and informing the school community about SGA programs. Overall, she is in charge of obeying and enforcing student government constitutions.

“I wanted to become an SGA board member ever since I was a freshman and looked up to the SGA board members before me. The leadership, inclusiveness and involvement that they portrayed inspired me to get myself involved,” Dobel said. “After figuring out my strengths all throughout high school, I knew that the corresponding secretary position was meant for me.”

As corresponding secretary, Dobel hopes to accomplish as much as she can before she graduates, including increasing member motivation and helping her fellow students develop a love and passion for school spirit.

“I feel that I made the most out of my high school experience by finding clubs and leadership positions that I am passionate about,” Dobel said.

When she’s not fulfilling her responsibilities as SGA’s corresponding secretary, Dobel manages staff assignments for the Aerie Yearbook as the official business editor.

Additionally, Dobel is a member of MSD’s National Honor Society, a nationwide organization for high school students that promotes leadership, service, character and scholarship, and Key Club, an organization for students which also encourages its members to participate in opportunities that provide service, build character and develop leadership skills.

Outside of her school responsibilities, Dobel enjoys yoga and baking, as well as hanging out at the beach with her friends.

“In the future, I aspire to be a lawyer because of my love for reading, writing and defending people,” Dobel said.

With so much on her plate, Dobel manages her school work and corresponding secretary role by keeping herself organized and accountable for all her responsibilities, which includes using a planner to record everything she needs to get done.

“By being an SGA member, I feel that I gain an inside to school events and am able to have a voice and get my ideas heard. I love being able to plan big events that I look forward to all year, like homecoming and spirit weeks,” Dobel said.

As a member of SGA, Dobel plans to work hard and ensure all her priorities are taken care of. Each day, she grows and improves as not only a student, but as a SGA board member and yearbook editor.

Eagle Eye News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$655
$1200