Charlene Noel

February 14, 2022

Nya Owusu-Afriyie

Junior Charlene Noel, co-event coordinator of the Black Student Union, works day in and out to put the Black History Month Show together. She organizes the exciting events for the Black Student Union.

The Black Student Union has filled out their officer positions and are prepared to make MSD a safer, more inclusive school. Co-event coordinator Charlene Noel in particular is prepared to tackle racism at MSD directly. 

“BSU is not afraid to step up their game when addressing these serious issues of racism we have at our school,” Noel said. “We are constantly planning ways to work with our administrators and staff to deal with these problems associated  with the school and we will not stop until we are heard and until we succeed.”

BSU’s goal for spreading tolerance and understanding lines up perfectly with Noel’s hope that a safe space can be created for students of color. It is common for people of minority groups to feel excluded from the general population. Noel hopes to rectify this by creating a space in which all POC are safe and heard.

“I hope BSU can truly provide a safe place for all the POC that feel like they need to hide and who feel like they are alone,” says Noel. “I’m hoping we will accomplish the goal of bringing out the hate towards the POC and eventually being able to walk the halls without feeling targeted because of their skin color.”

Noel joined BSU when she heard that the club was starting in person discussions and meetings again. She has always had the urge to join a number of extracurriculars, but never found any that interested her until the BSU. Luckily, it seems that she has found a place to share her ideas and contribute to the growth of the community.

“Every since the beginning of High school I wanted to involve myself in a lot of extracurricular activities and eventually being able to lead one, however all the clubs that were offered I never really saw myself talking interest in being a leader but when I heard BSU was starting again I saw that as an opportunity to involve myself in the a community within a PWI (predominantly white institution),” Noel said. 

Noel feels the area in and around the school is one that lacks a lot of diversity, making the BSU an incredibly important source of honest and reliable information on the topic of minority struggles.

“As we are located in an area that does not have much diversity I think it is important for MSD to have a BSU because it is one of the few clubs I know of that can relate the struggles of POC. We do not sugarcoat information and we face reality together as one,” Noel said.

The BSU is back and “better than ever” according to Noel. The club intends to create a better and more tolerant MSD while providing a safe space for all POC individuals.