MSD students extend their athletic careers as they commit to colleges on athletic scholarships

Ryan Shimony, Sports Editor

Pullquote Photo

I first visited the Northeastern campus a year before I committed, and I never thought about going to Boston for college, but I’ve always wanted to live in a city. I loved the campus so much, so I emailed the soccer coach, and it ended up working out. I think it’s special because it’s very different from Florida, and I am excited for a different scenery and lifestyle. I am most excited for being able to get super close with my new teammates and create great bonds while playing the sport I love and hopefully winning many conference titles. My main goal is to enjoy playing college soccer and have fun because it will most likely be the highest level of soccer I play, and I want to make the most of it.

— senior Maya Berndt

Pullquote Photo

Education is a big part of my day and part of me. I want to study risk management and insurance in the future. Appalachian State has one of the best programs in the nation for that. And also, I just fell in love with the baseball coaches there. And the whole atmosphere just being up north in the tree lines where true seasons are. Here at MSD, we have had a lot of success these past two years winning two back-to-back national championships and, I mean, Coach Fitz just instills competition every day just having great teammates around you every single day and pushing you to the next level, just makes you just a better player overall. And I feel like taking that competition and just knowing that a spot on the team is not guaranteed. It’s really going to help me be successful in college. Overall, [I] just [want to] be the best player I possibly can just draw not only for myself, but for my team and for the program and just representing Appalachian State, and also representing here at Stoneman Douglas.

— senior Dillon Moquin

Pullquote Photo

I chose Michigan because the gymnastics program is incredible. They are one of the best teams in the country. The academics are also top-tier. This place is special because they prioritize student athletes and have so many resources to help you succeed. I am most excited to compete for the team. I really want to try to contribute all around and help lead my team to another national championship victory. My goal for college is to take things one step at a time and really soak in every moment. I also want to be team captain at some point in my career. More goals will come when I am there, but I am just so thrilled to be a Wolverine next year. Go Blue!

— senior Haylen Zabrowski

Pullquote Photo

I chose Duquesne because I really felt a connection with all the players and coaches. When I went to visit, everyone made me feel so welcome, and I knew I’d fit in great. I’m really excited to continue my volleyball career at the next level, especially since it’s something I’ve been working towards since I was 15. I’m excited to meet new people and continue to develop my skills. My time playing at MSD has taught me many valuable lessons, including leadership, time management and determination, which are all things I can use at the college level.

— senior Jordan Robertson

Pullquote Photo

The recruitment process was a very exciting part of my baseball career. The University of Florida was always my dream school, and when they wanted to recruit me, I was beyond excited. They ended up offering, and it was a no-brainer where I would end up committing to. A lot of memories from playing baseball at MSD will be with me for the rest of my life, but most [of all] will be my competitiveness. I am a big competitor and love playing the game of baseball. It is more than just a game; it is a lifestyle. My goals for playing college baseball will be helping my team to the best of my abilities, [and] to win in every game. No matter what it is, whether it is picking up my teammates, or cheering them on, I will do everything in my power to help the team win.”

— senior Jacob Gomberg

Pullquote Photo

I chose Ohio State because it is such a large university with endless opportunities. The network of community that comes with representing Block O is like no else. From athletics to academics, Ohio State is a university that excels in all aspects. I love the positive, hard-working culture that the coaches have established for the gymnastics team as well as the numerous resources and high end technology that is offered to the students. From the moment I stepped onto campus, Ohio State felt like home and a place I could see myself growing in. I am excited to be able to compete for a team. Gymnastics is a very individualized sport, so having the opportunity for my scores to count for more than myself is something I am really looking forward to. I am also very excited for the high energy collegiate gymnastics brings to the arena and being able to travel across the country.

— senior Samara Buchanan