Tribune News Service

Breakfast does not have to be a bowl of cereal every morning. There are more nutritious and better-tasting alternatives, such as a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich. Photo permission from Amy Drew Thompson/TNS.

Eating breakfast corresponds to better health for students

February 13, 2023

Most people have heard the phrase: “breakfast is the most important meal of the day,” but is that true? According to nutrition researcher Ana López-Sobaler, a healthy breakfast is associated with “better body weight control and healthy cardiometabolic risk indicators.” Skipping breakfast has been linked to weight gain and obesity because it can lead to overeating later in the day.

Studies also suggest that a healthy breakfast is related to improved cognitive functions, such as memory and concentration, particularly in children and teenagers. Increased energy levels are another benefit of eating a healthy breakfast, as it gives the body the energy needed to start the day. It has even been linked to lower levels of stress and anxiety.

It’s very clear that when I don’t eat breakfast; I feel hungry and terrible. Not being hungry and having a full stomach is a great way to start the day allowing me to feel more awake and ready.

— senior Nick Colella

I think [eating breakfast] improves my performance at school because I won’t be thinking of eating, and I’ll have more energy to focus during class.

— sophomore Spencer Blake

I think it is important to eat breakfast to sustain your body throughout the day. Your brain needs calories to work. I think eating breakfast helps me stay focused and happy throughout the day.

— freshman Eliani Carr-Betts

Sports nutritionist advises MSD students on breakfast choices

Nellie Black is a Certified Sports Nutritionist with the International Sports Science Association, who has been working in the industry for over 15 years. She has been certified via the International Sports Science Association. Black urges students to keep a few things in mind when eating in the morning.

“It’s important to listen to your body and find a meal pattern that works for you, rather than sticking to a rigid schedule,” Black said. “Everyone’s body is different so it is important to keep in mind your personal dietary restrictions, allergies, needs and preferences when choosing something to eat. Some people may not feel hungry in the morning and that is OK. Listening to your body is important, and it is best to find a meal pattern that works right for you. Portion sizes are also something to keep in mind, not everyone needs a big breakfast, so be cautious of overeating. Finding the portion that is right for you that makes you feel energized and ready for the day is key so that you do not eat more than you need. Many people may not find the time in the morning to cook something from scratch, so instead, you could prepare something beforehand or find something quick and healthy to take on the go.”

This story was originally published in the February 2023 Eagle Eye print edition.