MSD women’s flag football falls short to Flanagan High School

Defensive back Sophia Dal Molin (22) quickly attempts to outrun her opponent as she receives the ball after a long pass from her teammate. The Eagles lost 6-2 to Flanagan High School.

Aubrey LaTorre and Natalia Lopez

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School’s women’s flag football team went up against Flanagan High School on Wednesday, March 29. As this was their first home game of the season, the team was ready to start playing their best to represent their school. The Eagles entered the game with a record of 2-2.

At the start of the first quarter, the Eagles began in the defensive line in an attempt to defend the endzone. As the Eagles were on defense, Flanagan quickly took control and scored the first touchdown of the game. The Eagles defense stopped Flanagan on the extra point attempt. With the quarter coming to an end, the Eagles were unable to score, and they trailed 6-0.

The second quarter was kept short as it began with the Eagles getting a safety, following a mistake by the Falcons. With the Eagles behind, they made an effort to score a touchdown but were unsuccessful.

“The team could have done better with distributing across the defensive line, which could have avoided the touchdown,” linebacker Samara Murad (20) said.

Going into the third and fourth quarter, the Eagles repeatedly gained and lost possessions in the attempt to score one touchdown to win the game. Time began concluding as the Eagles were still down five points but unfortunately did not succeed.

“I believe the team and I just need to work a little harder at practice, which will help push us to our win,” cornerback Julia Colon (9) said.

At the end of the game, the final score was 6-2.

“The team and I are looking forward to our next game where we will hopefully make a comeback and win,” rusher Jordan Tessler (15) said.

The Eagles are scheduled to play another home game on Monday, April 3 at 5 p.m. against Weston High School, where they will prepare to make a comeback.