Tribune News Service

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signs legislation on Monday, May 15, 2023, banning state funding for diversity, equity, and inclusion programs at Florida’s public universities, at New College of Florida in Sarasota. Photo permission from Douglas R. Clifford/Tampa Bay Times/TNS.

Florida passes over 30 bills in the 2023 legislative session affecting education

The 2023 Florida legislative session was a large one, with 285 of the 1,289 bills introduced this legislative session passing and being signed into law by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis. Over 30 of these bills affected education.

Florida Legislative sessions last for 60 consecutive days and occur every year. The legislature can convene outside of a regular session by a special session, which could potentially be called by the Florida governor and allows the legislature to meet outside of a regular session, or a joint proclamation issued by the senate president and house speaker. An extension of a regular session or special session needs a three-fifths vote from each house in order to extend. This year, the legislative session took place from March 7 to May 5.

As DeSantis campaigns in an effort to become the Republican nominee for next year’s presidential election in November 2024, he had an encompassing agenda of topics, including unions, books, LGBTQ+ issues and guns. In many areas, DeSantis succeeded and will likely use this as he campaigns.

While several of the laws Eagle Eye News investigated are being challenged in court, the laws enacted during the 2023 legislative session will likely have a large impact on the state of Florida for many years to come.

Florida law creates new requirements for public sector labor unions
Disney and Gov. DeSantis engage in year-long fight
AP African American Studies course revised after complaints from Gov. DeSantis
Florida enacts Heartbeat Protection Act to ban abortions after six weeks
Florida to provide vouchers to pay for tuition and school choice
Florida allows removal of transgender children from parental custody
Florida act proposes changes to State Constitution to create partisan elections on school boards
Florida enacts three new pieces of anti-LGBTQ+ legislation
SB 102 expands affordable housing, including zoning and tax exemptions

High school to start no earlier than 8:30 a.m. by 2026

Brynn Schwartz, Associate Editor-in-Chief

House Bill 733 establishes mandated start times for middle and high schools across the state of Florida. High schools must start no earlier than 8:30 a.m. and middle schools can start no earlier than 8 a.m. The average high school in Florida currently starts at 7:30 a.m. and the average middle school starts at 9:30 a.m. HB 733 will provide a stark difference in the start times of both middle and...

Florida medical board places limitations on gender-affirming healthcare for minors
Florida eliminates government-issued permits for concealed carry of firearms
Proposed Florida HB 999 to remove ‘diversity, equity and inclusion’ programs from public state universities

Eagle Eye News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$655
$1200