TWP Attorneys
Andie Korenge
With Usher having just performed at the Superbowl and current artists like Tate McRae and Olivia Rodrigo putting out songs reminiscent of 2000s pop, noughties music has seen a massive resurgence in recent years.

2000s music experiences a resurgence as new and old artists re-popularize the genre

The 2000s gave way to new styles in everything, from fashion, to film and even music. The decade—which is often referred to as the noughties—marked the creation of music with a distinct pop-rock sound, and hip-hop and R&B influences. With rhythmic beats, raw vocals, gritty guitar playing and electronic production techniques, the songs to come out of the 2000s are largely considered to be some of the most influential to this day and have come to define pop culture.

In recent years, 2000s music has seen a significant resurgence, as musicians of the decade regain prominence and new artists work to recreate their iconic sound. The event that has made this music’s comeback particularly apparent was Usher’s 2024 Superbowl performance, during which he performed several of his 2000s hits. This included the song “Yeah!” which topped Billboard’s Hot 100 in 2004 when it was initially released.

Another 2000s song that recently regained popularity is “Unwritten” by Natasha Bedingfield. The song was featured in the romcom movie “Anyone but You” which was released in December 2023. The movie has come to be considered one of the only recent romcoms to truly recreate the energy of the classic 2000s ones, and as such it has a very noughties inspired soundtrack. Since the movie’s release, “Unwritten” has blown up on TikTok and introduced a new generation to the classic hit.

This same phenomenon occurred with the song “Murder on the Dancefloor” by Sophie Ellis-Bextor, which was originally released in 2001. After being played in a memorable scene of the film “Saltburn,” which came out in November of last year, “Murder on the Dancefloor” hit number 58 on Billboard’s Hot 100.

Still, it is not just a reinvigoration with songs from the 2000s that has propelled this resurgence. There are also current artists who have taken inspiration from 2000s music and put their own spin on the decade’s distinct sound.

Olivia Rodrigo, who is currently on her Guts Tour, released the album “GUTS” in September 2023. The album channels both the lyricism and sound of 2000s pop-rock, with raw vocals detailing teenage angst and distorted guitar sounds. From her opening song “all-american bitch” to her unreleased song “Obsessed,” Rodrigo’s “GUTS” album has a sound similar to that Avril Lavigne’s.

Another artist who has helped revive 2000s music is influencer turned singer Addison Rae, who has rebranded herself to fit an unequivocally 2000s aesthetic. From her social media feeds, to streetstyle, to songs, Rae has succeeded in revamping herself into a noughties icon. In August 2023 Rae released the EP “AR” which boasted a classic 2000s pop sound comparable to Britney Spears and Nelly Furtado.

Rae even collaborated on one of the EP’s songs, “2 die 4,” with Charli XCX. This collaboration makes perfect sense; Charli XCX is known for her noughties inspired music, which has culminated in her release of the very much on-brand single “Von Dutch” in February of this year. Taking its name from the clothing brand that defined 2000s pop-star style, the single could practically pass for a 2000s club song. It embodies 2000s sleaziness both in its lyrics about obsession and envy, as well as in its music video.

Tate McRae–yet another musician who has been heavily inspired by the music of the 2000s–quickly gained popularity on TikTok after teasing her song “Greedy” on the platform near the end of 2023. The post went viral, receiving over 30 million views on the platform. Once it was released, the single spent nine days at number one on Spotify’s Top 50 Global chart.

Finally, on Dec. 8, 2023, she released her album “THINK LATER” and gained popularity so quickly that she wound up performing at the 2024 NHL All-Star Game. McRae is even considered by many to be this generation’s version of Britney Spears, as she has created a 2000s pop-star persona for herself. Everything about her, from her stage presence, dancing, style, lyrics and overall sound, is reminiscent of Spears. In fact, McRae has cited her as an inspiration many times before. “Greedy” is even considered by many to sound very similar to “Promiscuous” by Nelly Furtado and Timbaland.

On brand with how films have helped re-popularize 2000s songs, songs that emulate 2000s vibes have also been created specifically for recently released television shows and films. One example of this is the song “Popular” by the Weeknd, Madonna and Playboi Carti. Originally created for the show “The Idol,” “Popular” has a 2000s R&B feel that some have speculated was inspired by the NeptunesChad Hugo and Pharell Williams’ production company, which was known for producing 2000s hits.

Over the course of the next few years, it is likely that this resurgence will continue, as a lot of artists already have 2000s inspired albums in the works, and many more have expressed an interest in making one in the past. Metro Boomin has recently entertained this idea on X.

“It’s always been an idea and dream of mine to create a pure and authentic 90s/early 2000s album with all the OGs and some of the new artists mixed in,” Metro Boomin wrote on X.

Artists previously mentioned, like McRae, will also likely continue to make music inspired by the decade, and Charli XCX has even announced her sixth album, “Brat,” which will supposedly come out this summer.