The Death of a Bachelor breathes life into pop punk

Don’t panic. After years of anticipation, Panic! At the Disco has released their newest album, titled Death of a Bachelor. Released on Jan.16, the album reminds fans of the talent that brought the band to the forefront of the pop punk genre.

Brendon Urie, the band’s sole remaining member, who wrote, sang, and played all the instruments on the album, immediately showcases his fantastic vocal range with the first track, “Victorious.” The song flaunts a flamboyant polish that immediately captures the ears of listeners, lacking any sign of weakness after the departure of most of the band’s members.

However, with the passage of time and the changes in band membership, Panic! At the Disco has evolved dramatically, although remnants of their original sound remain evident. Embracing the philosophy of growing up with their fans, Panic! Introduced a much more mature sound with the Sinatra-inspired title track. Death of a Bachelor, boasting Urie’s smooth, crooning vocals over a deliciously rich melody, pushes Panic! Miles ahead of their pop punk peers.

Still, Death of a Bachelor is not devoid of the type of songs that brought the band to fame among legions of misunderstood teenagers. An infectious tune reminiscent of their most well-known hit, “I Write Sins Not Tragedies,” “Hallelujah” reminds fans where the band shines the brightest – namely, on fast-paced tracks.

That is not to say, however, that Panic! Is not capable of slower ballads that feature Urie’s more emotional and sensitive side, as made clear by “Impossible Year.”

Panic! At the Disco’s fifth studio album is chock-full of hits, many of which perfectly balance radio-friendly music tracks and lyrics showcasing Urie’s reliably unique penchant for songwriting. Debuting at number one on the Billboard 200, Death of a Bachelor is the perfect comeback album.