• February 28MSD to have a modified schedule for Wednesday, Feb. 28 following hour-long evacuation due to bomb threat
  • February 28MSD allows students back on campus at 10:11 a.m. following all clear by Broward Sheriff's Office; students return to fifth period
  • February 28MSD evacuates to Cumber Stadium at 8:38 a.m. due to bomb threat

MSD Students participate in a yoga retreat and beach cleanup for “Day of Service and Love”

MSD students partner pose during Amy Kenny’s yoga session. Photo by Sam Goldblum

On Friday, Feb. 14, 2020, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School students participated in the “Day of Service and Love,” including activities at Deerfield Beach. Organized by yoga teacher Amy Kenny and AP Environmental teacher Tammy Orilio, the event involved a group morning yoga session, a flower petal ceremony and a beach cleanup.

In the 9 a.m., 45-minute yoga session, Kenny instructed the group to execute simple yoga poses, meant to calm the body and mind.  

“It was a great way to start the day, I felt much more relaxed and peaceful on a day I get pretty anxious,” senior Ashley Perez said.

After the yoga session, students were given biodegradable flower petals to decorate the beach with. Students created different drawings with the petals, such as hearts and messages of strength.

“It was a great way for the group to come together and have fun decorating the beach,” said senior Amanda Brotton.

The beach cleanup took place after the flower petal ceremony, where students were given buckets and gloves provided by the city of Deerfield and taken to the beach to collect trash for around two hours. 

The City of Deerfield set up a central location at the beach, where at the end of the cleanup students could drop off their collected trash, and city employees would sort it into recyclables and non-recyclables and then transport the trash to the cities garbage facility.

“The city has been super helpful in setting up this beach cleanup, we really appreciate their help,” said Orilio.

Students were then able to go home or stay and have a day at the beach, swimming and soaking up the sun with friends. 

“I do enjoy being able to organize and take part in this event,” Orilio said. “It’s nice to be around students and coworkers while doing something good for the environment.”

This is Kenny and Orilio’s second year organizing the event, and they hope to host this event annually in the future.