MSD wrestling team defeats Western High School in the finals of the Coral Springs Duals Tournament

MSD Wrestling

MSD’s wrestling team poses together for a photo with the Coral Springs Duals Tournament plaque after winning the event. They had a 42-36 victory against Western High School in the final match. Photo courtesy of the MSD wrestling team

Kelly Cooke, Writer

From Jan. 14 to 15, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School wrestling team defeated Western High School in the finals of the Coral Springs Duals tournament. The final score ended as 42-36. 

The wrestling team won their first tournament of the year back in December at Coral Springs High School, beating out Saint Thomas Aquinas High School in the finals. 

“Every time we wrestle [Western], it is a close match. Last year, [Western] beat us on criteria in a tie match, and then we beat them out by one point at the [Broward County Athletic Association match] to make the top five. Actually, on paper, we should have won big, but we made some individual mistakes that went in Western’s favor that made the final score a lot closer,” wrestling coach Ken Gendason said. “It was a good learning lesson and we can re-focus on BCAAs next week.” 

The team has been working well with each other all year, with a great amount of sportsmanship and dedication.  

“I think I have improved my skill set and leadership skills over the years of wrestling,” senior Lucca Azzarelli said. “I would like to see the whole team improve on consistency when it comes to showing up to practice, tournaments and training at home.”

The MSD team was voted as the Florida High School Atheltic Association (FHSAA) District Dual Meet Champions this year. This was the first time in 11 years the school won the district honors distinction. The team is looking forward to the BCAA district championships and post-season approaching.

In addition, this is the first year the state of Florida has sanctioned women’s wrestling, which is now an official FHSAA state event. Gaby Caro, the only girl on the team, has a great chance to place at states this year as a sophomore. 

The wrestling team’s next match will be from Jan. 28 to 29 at Pompano High School.