Campus Monitor Michelle Smith works to keep students and staff on campus safe

On the Job. As part of her duties as Campus Monitor Michelle Smith checks the girls’ restroom before school begins. Smith’s responsibilities include frequent bathroom checks to ensure students are respecting school rules. “Overall, I just make sure everyone on campus is safe,” Smith said.
Jasmine Bhogaita

What does your job as a campus monitor entail?

My job is to be very vigilant. Being aware of your surroundings and just building a connection with the students and trying to keep the students safe. I do bathroom checks, because bathrooms can be a real hot spot for high schoolers. So I try to do bathroom checks throughout the day. I try to walk around just to make sure the majority of students are inside their classrooms. And then if students are outside of their classrooms, I make sure that they have a pass.

How many years have you been working at MSD and what were you doing prior to this job?

This will be my second year working at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School as a security guard. Before this, I was working at a kosher restaurant in Boca [Raton] as an acting manager.

What attracted you to this job?

I’m a people’s person. I love working with students and with children. This job lets me work with all age groups, which is what really attracted me to it.

What is your favorite thing about your job?

My favorite thing about my job is working with my team, like working with my security team. Coach Carter is a really great asset and a really great leader. So working with her honestly, it makes my day.

What is your best memory working at MSD?

My best memory was one afternoon after all the kids left. It was just staff left, and we were having a barbecue party. Honestly, I felt like that was a really good vibe. It was just the staff and we were all together, having fun talking and just getting to know each other, because not all of us know each other, especially outside of school. That was a really fun and great memory for me here at MSD.

What do you love about MSD?

The things that I love about MSD would be the activities. There is always something going here, it’s never a dull moment. There are always clubs, or events or a game; it’s a high school culture thing and I love that about MSD. I feel like I am a part of it because once we get those emails stating what the students have planned throughout the day, it’s exciting. It keeps the students engaged, and does not make school feel boring. Even though you guys are here for education, there’s things that you guys can do for fun here at MSD.

What are some things you would like to see improved at MSD?

As far as our school atmosphere goes, I wish kids would listen better to others when they talk and overall have better behavior. It’s not something that is a problem with everyone, but I think it is something that can be improved on. Speaking from a security standpoint, I would love to see better equipment for the security team. Things like golf carts, walkie talkies, fans keys. Those basic things would be great and really help us out.

What are some of your responsibilities as a campus monitor?

I am basically responsible for watching students and making sure all is as it should be. So, for example, in the morning, I am walking around the courtyard and watching students and then I check the bathrooms. I also try to assist with the elevator because some days I will have a handicapped student, and I’ll assist them upstairs. [During the day] my job depends on what my boss wants and where she would like me to be because everybody is in a different post, and they rotate.

How can you interact with the other staff members at MSD to help run our school and do your job?

I just try to be friendly. I believe first impressions are very important. I deal with all different types of personalities. I just try to get to know everyone and see how I can help.

What are some things that you feel are important for students to know about you?

I want students to know how much I value kindness. I feel like kindness and having manners can take you a long way. Don’t be mean, don’t be a bully, don’t be rude. I’m respectful, and I’ll give you respect back. Respect is something that is earned. Other than that, be happy, and be proud to be an Eagle. I love working here, and I just hope to further my position here at MSD.

Outside of school, how do you enjoy spending your time?

I like to read, watch movies, especially scary movies and just spend time with my friends and my family.

This story was originally published in the December 2023 Eagle Eye print edition.