New computer technician Raymond Haneski joins wife on MSD’s staff

Tech repair. Sitting in his office, Raymond Haneski works constantly to ensure that all technology within Stoneman Douglas is running properly. Haneski began working for MSD at the beginning of December and has enjoyed his experience so far.
Lincoln Miller

Computer monitors span across his desk. Spreadsheets and other documents fill screens, keeping track of all of the campus’ technology. Papers fill the office around the new computer technician, Raymond Haneski, while he works hard to keep the school up and running. Striving to make sure that there are no issues with any electronics, Haneski dedicates himself to improving the quality of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School’s education, one computer problem at a time.

School computer technicians, like Haneski, work to help students and faculty troubleshoot and repair technology, such as computers and promethean boards, around campus. Their years of experience allow for the successful and convenient use of electronics in the classroom. Haneski is both an educator and an employee who specializes in technical support and is also a micro-computer technician.

In early December 2023, Haneski officially began work as MSD’s technical support specialist. In doing so, he has joined his wife, Diana Haneski, who manages the media center, along with their service dog, River, at MSD.

Haneski’s 24-year-long career as a micro-computer technician and technical support specialist began in 1999, when he started working at Silver Lakes Elementary School in Miramar, Florida. This continued until 2002, when Haneski became one of the original staff members at Westglades Middle School.

For the entire 21 years he worked at WMS, Haneski was their micro-computer technician and even began coaching some of the school’s sports teams as well. From 2014 to his last year at WMS, Haneski coached the soccer and boys volleyball teams.

“I started coaching soccer in 2014 or 15 and took on boys volleyball when it was reintroduced to middle school in 2015,” Haneski said.

Unfortunately, working at WMS prevented Haneski from working with his wife for 21 years. This factor has consequently greatly contributed to why he is now very joyous over his reunion with her and River.

“Mrs. Haneski and I have worked together at three schools and in our radio careers prior to becoming educators,” Haneski said. “I don’t know how I worked so many years without her. I love knowing that River is there and seeing students and staff enjoy her is very fulfilling.”

Having volunteered at MSD constantly before he officially joined staff, Haneski enjoys being able to see students from his previous experiences at the school.

“Volunteering as a chaperone at Homecoming and Prom and visiting Mrs. Haneski in the Douglas Media Center, I have had a chance to see a lot of former students,” Haneski said. “It’s always great to be remembered, but it’s even greater to see them growing, becoming leaders and succeeding.”

Haneski enjoys being able to see the students that are working hard around him. On top of the joy of being remembered, he loves being able to see MSD students progress throughout their high school careers as they continue to become even better versions of themselves.

Haneski has also volunteered at several other schools and organizations, including the school his children attended growing up and many support groups with River. He and River both volunteer for Fort Lauderdale’s Canine Assisted Therapy program and recently signed on with HOPE Animal-Assisted Crisis Response and National Crisis Response Canines. These organizations allow pets like River to help people navigate their trauma and grief, as well as relieve them of negative emotions.

Haneski is very excited to be a part of the MSD family, and he looks forward to meeting his new colleagues and students.

“There are a lot of people here, some that I know and many I look forward to meeting,” Hankesi said. “Everyone has been very welcoming. I hope to further organize technology and give support in a timely manner.”

In his spare time, Haneski loves to cook and manage his family tree on Ancestry. He also enjoys serving his community, sometimes accompanied by River. Although Haneski has visited MSD many times before, his work has led him to spend countless hours away from his family.

Thus, after over two decades, Haneski is overjoyed to finally be able to work side by side with his wife and dog in the media center. He and his wife will even be celebrating their 40 year anniversary in August and they cannot wait to commemorate this milestone in their marriage together.