At the Parkland Farmers Market on Sunday, Nov. 19, many people had brought their dogs to the event. There were many kinds of dogs, ranging from enormous mastiffs to the smallest bulldogs.
Reygan McIntosh

Annual Parkland Farmers’ Market brings the community together

Every other Sunday, the Parkland Farmers’ Market takes place from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Equestrian Center on Ranch Road and Holmberg Road. In the beginning of November, the City of Parkland announced the return of the annual farmers market, which has been occurring since 2006.

This year, the market’s first date was Nov. 5, 2023 and the final date is April 21. Each date has a different theme, some having to do with crafts, pets, health and cultures.

The Farmers’ Market hosts a variety of vendors that come and sell products including foods, drinks, soaps and jewelry. Members of the Parkland community come together during the market to help support businesses or try new foods. Customers are able to purchase a variety of products including produce, dairy, breads, gourmet food, clothes, handmade jewelry and even products for dogs.

If a business wants to become a vendor at the Farmers Market, an application is required to be filled out. The application will be processed between five to seven business days. If they are accepted, they will receive an email to attend the following Farmers’ Market.

The Farmers’ Market has different sections: a fresh foods section, food trucks and any other small business wanting to advertise themselves. The food court has different foods that serve the community from different cultures. Funky Donkey Burritos, La Paella, 7 Seas Seafood Market and Kona Ice of Coral Springs are all regular stands at the food court.

“I love the Farmers’ Market because I love to support all the small and local businesses,” freshman Reese Greiner said. “All the food is fresh and delicious.”

Many of the stands are allergy and diet-friendly with many nut-free food vendors as well as gluten free and vegan vendors. One recurring vegan vendor is Dr. Pickle. Some gluten free vendors are Toc Toc Arepas and Zoey’s Handmade Pretzels. Having an option for allergy free foods attracts a variety of customers that can attend and purchase from allergy-friendly stands.

“I like all of the gluten free options as well as the culture foods,” senior Ethan Leavy said. “The freeze dried candy and sweets were definitely a hit and I liked them a lot.”

There are also many cultural food stands including Spanish cuisine from La Paella, Greek cuisine from LLC The Greek Gyro Truck and Mexican cuisine from Poblano South.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School DECA students also participate in the Farmers’ Market. MSD DECA hospitality seniors participate in Junior Achievement, which is a non-profit organization for students. Students collectively decide on an idea and create a small business that sells their products at the Farmer’s Market.

This year’s small business idea is “That’s Lit,” which customizes candles to include a name, scent and color. DECA students share shifts either from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m or 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

“Selling candles at the farmers market was really fun. I loved meeting and talking to new people,” senior Alexa Castronovo said. “I love the dedication to the businesses. It shows that we have a caring community.”

As the new year is approaching vendors and customers are looking forward to what is to come. The Parkland Farmers’ Market can be a great way to introduce ideas for new business. Even some have a family outing for a day.