January’s Athlete of the Month: Andres Barraza

Sophomore Andres Barraza poses for a portrait photo. Photo by Sam Grizelj

Delaney Walker, Social media editor

Each week, Barraza practices golf five to six times, which ultimately adds up to around twenty hours by the end of the week. Barraza trains himself to maintain consistency and improve his technique and skills. His practices take place at the Osprey Point Golf Course in Boca Raton, Florida.

“When I think of Andres, I think of golf because he eats, sleeps, and breathes golf,” sophomore Asha Advani said. 

Although there are numerous golf tournaments available year round, including areas such as Tallahassee and Orlando, Barraza usually participates in two tournaments per month. The tournaments consist of either 36 or 54 holes total. 

“I enjoy playing with my friends the most [when] we go out on the weekends, and fool around and have fun,” Barraza said. 

Since Barraza is constantly improving his golf skills, he tries to utilize his weekends to study, catch up or get ahead on schoolwork, so he can focus on more training sessions throughout the week. 

Not only is Barraza on the MSD boys’ golf team, but he is also part of MSD’s orchestra. He has been playing the violin since the age of five. 

“My favorite thing about Andres is that he has a great sense of humor and lights up a room. [He’s] always smiling,” sophomore Nicolette Gulla said. 

Barraza strives to do his best in everything he does whether it is golf, orchestra or friendships. He enjoys every moment throughout the week he gets to play his favorite sport: golf, and plans on continuing to do so as he progresses through his high school years.