Broward County Public Schools recognizes November as Native American Heritage Month

Graphic by Melodie Vo

Dhaanya Balaji and Phiona Smith

On the Broward County Public Schools website, there was a presentation shared to help students, teachers and parents learn more about the traditions. The presentation explains how National Native American Heritage Month is a major part of the development of Broward County and what the indigenous people went through. The presentation also includes different guest speakers that spoke about their lives as Native Americans and how important education is to the Seminole tribe. 

In Fort Lauderdale, the “Circle of Unity” exhibit opened to the public on Monday, Nov. 9. The event was a celebration that brought different tribes of Native Americans together to celebrate friendships, recuperations and to share the message of hope. Additionally, there was a virtual tour that featured stories behind their art and resilience. 

This year, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School did not have any activities for National Native American Heritage Month. Some students were not aware that November was reserved for National Native American Heritage Month.

“I did not participate in Native American Heritage Month because I was not aware of it,” freshman Angelina Kennedy said.

The purpose of National Native American Heritage Month is to recognize the significance of benefaction that the first Americans contributed to the development of the U.S. The Native Americans are known for their beautiful turquoise jewelry and wood carvings. The people of the Southwest have also refined and developed many plants that are used frequently for products in the world today. Without the Native American’s contributions, we would not have much of the simple modern-day commodities we do have today.

“I was not aware that it was Native American Heritage Month so I did not participate in it. However I saw many posts on social media that were bringing awareness to the Native American culture,” freshman Aneesha Nookala said.

Many students may not have gotten a chance to participate in any events but still found ways to show support for Native American culture.

“Even though we are still weathering the global COVID-19 crisis, I believe our tribal nations stand stronger than ever,” Principal Chief Chuck Hoskin said in an editorial in the Cherokee Phoenix. “Celebrating Native American Heritage Month means celebrating who we are historically, who we are today, and who we will be in the future.”

Our historical phases have got the country to where it is today and have reflected the decisions of many important leaders.

“I can not say that I have [celebrated], but I did take some time to appreciate the natives of our country,” freshman Karen Liu said.

November continues to serve as Native American Heritage Month and is celebrated through music, art, food and more.