Members of MSD Drama sing “I See Stars” from “Mean Girls the Musical,” which they performed earlier in March.

MSD Dance Marathon hosts final fundraising event

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Dance Marathon club held its annual main and final fundraiser on Saturday, March 16 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The event was held in the gym at MSD and was their last effort for fundraising during the 2023-2024 school year. Participants danced, played games, watched performances and donated in anticipation for the reveal of the amount fundraised during the year.
Dance Marathon is a nonprofit student-run organization that fundraises for local miracle network hospitals at various colleges and high schools. Dance Marathon at MSD specifically raises money for the Nicklaus Children’s Hospital in Miami, which is a top-ranked children’s hospital in South Florida.
“The goal of the event was to raise as much money as possible for the kids and families at Nicklaus Children’s Hospital,” MSD Dance Marathon President Claudia Schulman said. “This was like the last stretch and final push for the kids.”

The theme for this year’s fundraiser was “Paint a Brighter Future,” with each hour having a different theme. The “team colors” theme ran from 10-11 a.m., the “think pink” theme ran from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m., the “white lies” theme ran from 12-1 p.m., the “black and yellow” theme ran from 1-2 p.m., the “golden hour” theme ran from 2-3 p.m. and the “rave hour” ran from 3-4 p.m.

The fundraiser started with the National Anthem sung by MSD Drama Club members and had several guest speakers throughout the event. Nicklaus Children’s Pediatric Specialists Leadership President Dr. Chad Perlyn, MSD art teacher Jaccqueline Lieberman, patient of the month Jaxon and their family and former patient Jenna Korstein spoke about Dance Marathon’s involvement and contributions to charity.

Every hour, a line dance would occur, and if participants sat or stopped, they would go to “jail” and have to sit out. Games such as Coke and Pepsi, Jeopardy, musical chairs and “Simon Says” were played in between line dances. Dance Marathon also held a “March Madness,” where participants competed in a miniature basketball tournament. Therapy dogs were present at the event.

Along with the dances, many MSD student groups partook in the entertainment. MSD student-based rock band HB Boulevard performed with giant props, and MSD drama sung “I See Stars” from the “Mean Girls The Musical,” which they performed in their 2023-2024 musical in March.

The MSD Step Team and LED club performed at different times during the event. The debate club had a booth, and the theme was “prove me wrong,” where fundraiser participants could express their opinions on everyday debates and have light-hearted discourse.

“We’re [debate club is] here to support Dance Marathon and the children’s hospital, and we think it’s a great activity,” MSD Debate club Co-Vice President Siddharta Ojha said.

A raffle was held with four winners, and food was provided at a buffet. At the end at 3:40 p.m., the total reveal for the amount of money the club earned in the 2023-2024 school year was revealed.

Throughout the year, Dance Marathon at MSD held multiple events to raise money for the children’s hospital, some of the fundraisers including car washes and their third annual Color Run that occurred on Saturday, Dec. 2. Near the end of every year, this year on March 16, the club has its main dance fundraiser held in the gym.

MSD Dance Marathon’s goal of $25,000 for the year was achieved, the fundraising going even further and raising $27,316.57, $2,316.57 more than expected. Throughout the event participants donated to the cause, contributing to the final amount.

“I cannot even express how much love I have for it [Dance Marathon],” Schulman said. “Ever since my first year, I would always ask how else I can help in any way possible. Not only do I love this cause but especially how I get to have so much fun in the process. My love for this club has only grown and I can’t wait to continue doing it in college later on.”

This fundraising event was the final event of the 2023-2024 school year and their goal for the 2024-2025 school year is to raise more than this year. New and returning officers will continue to plan and work hard to prepare for future fundraising events and the final fundraising event in 2025.