Covered in Color. Surrounded by friends, Senior Seth Goldstein celebrates his third place victory. The color run was hosted by Dance Marathon in hopes to raise money for Children’s Miracle Network.
Reygan McIntosh

Dance Marathon hosts third annual Color Run at Parkland Equestrian Center on Dec. 2

The Color Run serves as a fundraiser that contributes to MSD’s annual Dance Marathon event, which raises money for the Children’s Miracle Network and also benefits the Nicklaus Children’s Hospital, a non-profit organization, in Miami.

“Everything in excess, like the decorations, our DJ and our stage goes directly to ‘DonorDrive’, which benefits the Children’s Hospital,” Dance Marathon sponsor Coral Bachen said.

The turnout for the Color Run event increased this year, and the Dance Marathon Club exceeded their goal to sell 100 tickets to the event.

“Our maximum number of tickets was capped at 100,” Dance Marathon Vice President Meagan McGinty said. “We had people afterwards asking if they could buy more, so we sold over our target amount.”

The club sold an additional 40 tickets. With each $35 ticket purchase, participants received a t-shirt, food, water and color packets for the run.

Ahead of the race, Dance Marathon offered other activities for entertainment. Attendees could pay for face painting, friendship bracelet kits and fortune telling while waiting for the main event-the color run itself-to begin.

Morale Captains, who are student leaders, danced in order to keep spirits motivated and energized for the race.

English teachers Chelsea Briggs and Coral Bachen co-sponsor the Dance Marathon Club. Bachen enjoys working and coordinating these events and watching over them.

Painting Faces. Before the Color Run, sophomore Jordan Tessler paints a butterfly on senior Jenny Baksh’s face. Dance Marathon, which was hosting the event, offered face paintings as an additional fundraiser. (Reygan McIntosh)

“I love it. It’s really fun because it is not serious, and it is something people can do on a day with nice weather,” Bachen said. “The kids can run around and get messy with their friends.”

At around 2:30 p.m., the student contestants gathered at the starting line. They were given packets of colored powder to throw at the beginning of the race, and they had a choice to either throw it into the air or at someone for a head start in the race.

Briggs gave a countdown starting from three, and when she hit one, the colors were in the air and the racers were off.

Senior Darren Edenbaum won the race, followed by junior Miguel Martinez and senior Seth Goldstein. Each received a medal.

“I participated in the Color Run for all the kids with cancer and for Mrs. Briggs,” Edenbaum said.

Friends and other attendees congratulated them, and after that, the Third Annual Dance Marathon Color Run was over.

In total, the event raised $4,000, a $1,000 increase from last year. Those funds will go towards this year’s fundraising goal of $20,000. So far, the club has raised $8,476.

In the spring, the club will host its main Dance Marathon dance and will reveal the total raised for the year. Last year, the club raised $14,000 for the Children’s Miracle Network.

This story was originally published in the December 2023 Eagle Eye print edition.