Starting Off. Twirling in her dress, sophomore Valeria Gutierrez dances on stage during zapateado tradicional. This dance originates from Mexico which consists of a flamenco dance with rhythmic stamping of the feet.
Andres Fuenmayor

Spanish Club hosts 14th annual multicultural showcase

A lot of preparation, such as choosing and teaching the dances, choosing choreographers, and writing the script went into making the Multicultural Showcase possible. Spanish Club officers, especially Show Director Paola Gutierrez who was elected last May, and sponsor Maria Garcia, played a key role in organizing and coordinating the event.

“Being director this year has been one of the most determining things I have dedicated to this year: choosing choreographers, choosing dances, attending practices to see improvement, writing the script, creating the theme for the show, etc.,” Gutierrez said. “This has been one of the best experiences I have been and am currently living in.”

This year’s show consisted of over 17 dances spanning two acts and featured a variety of dances and additional musical performances. In early September, the club organized a series of auditions for the show’s dances. The Spanish Club sponsored popular styles such as Salsa, Bachata, Reggaeton, Hip-Hop and Jazz.

Other performances included LED Dance Club, Step Team, Bollywood and Indian Kuthu, both sponsored by the Indian Student Association. Additionally, the Asian Student Association featured Traditional Chinese and K-Pop dances.

This show excited not only the members of the Spanish Club and the dancers, but also the student body as a whole.

“I love the Multicultural Show because it’s so interesting to see the different cultures and how they live and dance and seeing the differences between them,” senior Angelina Bisono said. “I can also see the joy on the students’ faces when they dance, and they seem so passionate about it.”

Leading up to the event, participants practiced weekly from Nov. 27-30. During this time, all the dances were rehearsed in the auditorium, under the guidance of the MSD Drama Tech department.

“Due to the amount of planning and organization the show requires, we tend to start working on the show before the school year starts considering the small amount of time we have,” Spanish Club President Valeria Anzures said. “We have been closely working with the choreographers and Ms. Garcia to make sure we have a great event.”

Tickets for the show cost $7 and went on sale Monday, Nov. 27 on the Seat Yourself website. Ticket sales and concession sales collected $5,467.45. After expenses, the Spanish Club made a $4,156.81 profit.

This story was originally published in the December 2023 Eagle Eye print edition.