Principal Michelle Kefford’s “Back to the Future”-inspired theme for the school year marks the excitement of returning to physical school

Principal Michelle Kefford sporting a shirt for her Back to the FUNdamentals theme for the 2021-2022 school year.

Kayla Gamm, Writer

“Nobody calls me chicken.” (Back to the Future, 1985)

An iconic line from the iconic movie that is still influencing the modern world 36 years later, including Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School’s Principal Michelle Kefford.

Each year, Kefford picks a theme to guide the course of the year. For the 2021-2022 school year the theme may sound a little familiar, as it pays homage to a classic 1985 movie.

“It’s ‘Back to the Fundamentals’ just like “Back to the Future…” with the ‘fun’ capitalized, of course,” said Kefford said.

This is an effort to emulate what school is “normally” like, referring to past years. Ever since the COVID-19 pandemic forced students across the country to transition to online-learning, students haven’t been getting the needed social interaction and organized routine that comes with going to school every day. Now that MSD is back to in-person learning, the school is trying to help students transition back into the school schedule and fun that in-person learning has to offer.

“We had a crazy year and a half, so we wanted to emphasize we are going to what school has been and should be; everybody together here and learning and enjoying all the things we enjoy,” Kefford said. “School is more than just going to class.”

This explains the ‘fun’ in fundamentals. With many students overjoyed to finally be back playing their favorite sports, entering debate tournaments, participating in club meetings and activities, the atmosphere at MSD has once again become lively like it once was.

Prior to the closure of schools due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Kefford would host various activities and events throughout the year that would relate to the theme, this year is no different.

“We will be doing some very fun things that I will not disclose right now so as not to ruin the surprise, but we will definitely be doing some fun things,” Kefford said.

Students will just have to wait and see what Kefford has in store for them this year. These events will not only be fun for the students, but will hopefully help them in an impactful way when facing the new school year.

“The theme is just a reminder of really embracing what we missed out on, and remembering to study hard and work hard, but also enjoy the experience as well,” Kefford said.

With those last few words, Kefford leaves the students with an optimistic outlook of what is to come.