MSD releases course selection cards for the 2022-2023 school year

Quinn Braun

Students are currently filling out their course cards for the 2022-2023 school year.

Sofia Schorer Kaplan, Social Media Editor (Class Intercom)

Course selection cards for the 2022-2023 school year at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School were distributed in study halls. After students began receiving them on Jan. 27, MSD guidance counselors went to every study hall throughout the week to explain the process of selecting next year’s courses. Course cards are due on Feb. 9 or Feb. 10.

Students must get their course cards signed off by their teachers as soon as possible. They must be fully completed by Feb. 9 for Burgundy day study halls or Feb. 10 for Silver day study halls.

With overpopulation being an issue in the past few years at MSD, documents needed for registration must be resubmitted for the upcoming school year. This addition to the process is to ensure that each student is living within the schools border and is zoned for MSD. If need be, this will also result in relocating students who belong in another school zone.

“[Overpopulation] is definitely going to make an impact in the electives, core classes and how many classes we are going to need. It [is important for students to] choose carefully when selecting alternate electives,” Guidance Director Veronica Melei said.

On the course selection form, students are typically required to select four core classes, one each for English, math, science class and social studies. They are also required to select three electives and three alternative electives in case the electives they originally selected do not have space.

Teachers who teach core classes will be signing off on the recommendation portion of the forms for students. Their decisions stem from the students’ academic involvement in and out of class, as well as their grades in the first semester.

Many classes require a signature from teachers approving the student for the class. However, students can override their teachers’ decisions by filling out an override form they can pick up in the Guidance Department. If an override is filled out, the students must remain in the class.

After forms are turned in, the guidance counselors take a composite of the selected core classes and electives, combining them to create an official schedule. Along with the seven classes chosen, students will also have a study hall period.

The amount of class periods of a course will change from year to year based on current enrollment; for example, classes with declining enrollment may become unavailable in coming years. Popular classes adjust to the number of students incoming yearly, either by adjusting teachers, fitting more students per class or creating more periods.

With the thought of the upcoming school year, course cards should be turned in on time. If needed, students should meet with their designated guidance counselors to discuss the best course of action for their upcoming school year.