[Opinion] Listening to music has endless benefits

Kat+Dodd+dances+with+her+friends+on+New+Years+Eve+at+the+Statler+in+Dallas%2C+Friday%2C+Dec.+31%2C+2021.+The+Statler+held+a+Black+and+White+party+for+people+to+ring+in+the+New+Year+at.+

Photo courtesy of Tribune News Service

Kat Dodd dances with her friends on New Years Eve at the Statler in Dallas, Friday, Dec. 31, 2021. The Statler held a Black and White party for people to ring in the New Year at.

Bailey Carter, Writer

For people of any age, finding enjoyment in music is easily obtainable. Whether it is the exhilarating beat or the cleverly-written lyrics, people are able to appreciate music of their own unique taste. What most people do not realize is the various positive benefits that music offers.

With the love of music certainly being high in recent generations, research has proven the effects music holds both mentally and physically. With available platforms, such as Spotify and Apple Music, people are able to indulge in the endless effects music has on the brain.

Music is naturally an incredible mood booster. One of the best ways to cope with a bad day is by playing your favorite song or artist. Listening to enjoyable music releases dopamine, which is the body’s feel-good neurochemical. This neurological response within the brain causes a natural boost in mood.

Going hand-in-hand with increasing mood, music also helps lower stress and anxiety levels. With the demanding lives of growing teenagers, cortisol levels may be high. Cortisol is the stress hormone within the body that can cause the occurrence of stress, anxiety and even depression. Listening to music causes the release of chemicals, like dopamine and serotonin which combat cortisol levels.

Songs also increase a person’s motivation in daily activities. The reason a lot of people listen to music while working out is due to the natural stimulation music creates in the mind and body. The upbeat tunes motivate the body to move, resulting in increased motivation and productivity.

Alongside increasing productivity, music also improves memory. The area of the brain associated with processing music and memory are heavily connected. This makes listening to music while studying incredibly effective. The stimulating effect music has on the brain helps keep your mind steady and focused on what you are attempting to get done.

Naturally, music can improve cognition and performance. Calming background music typically results in improved performance in arithmetic and memory related tasks. Listening to music during class can be beneficial for students, as they can profit from improved capabilities.

Creativity is considerably one of the most important traits an individual could have. Music helps create a positive mood and mindset which influences both creative fluency and originality. This reaction is due to the enhanced cognitive flexibility that is formed when an individual’s mood is positive.

With a variety of benefits, listening to music should certainly be encouraged for everyone. People should be able to recognize the useful effects music displays on the brain and utilize them in their life.