MSD offers multiple tutoring options for students who are struggling or seeking testing help

MSD Administration

This flyer was distributed to promote AAA and let students know when each subject is being instructed.

Ashveen Saini, Social Media Editor

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School is offering multiple different tutoring and academic resources for students who are struggling in certain subjects or areas.

“I believe that these tutoring options will benefit students who are struggling, and help improve their grades,” freshman Rhania Suarez said.

One option of tutoring offered is after-school tutoring, which is hosted by various different honor societies for academic subjects. This option is available after school on certain days of the week and covers a variety of subjects. The National Honor Society provides help on all subjects every Tuesday from 2:50 p.m. to 3:50 p.m. in room 423.

The math honor society, also known as Mu Alpha Theta, offers help for students struggling in areas of math. This tutoring is offered every Wednesday and Thursday at 2:45 p.m. to 3:45 p.m. in the media center.

National Science Honor Society provides help for students on Wednesdays from 2:50 p.m. to 3:50 p.m. in room 1302.

Spanish Honor Society offers help on Wednesdays from 2:50 p.m. to 3:50 p.m. in room 164.

Another option provided for students is the Afterschool Academic Academy, commonly referred to as AAA. AAA is teacher-led help with the main focus to review for the FSAs and EOCs.

On Mondays, there is U.S. history assistance in room 1548 with U.S. history teacher Julie Laitak. On Tuesdays, Algebra 1 tutoring is held in room 1510 with math teacher Yosleny Valera, and geometry is held in room 1518 with math teacher Alexandria Mighty. On Wednesdays, writing help is held in room 232 with language arts teacher Stacy Lippel and reading help takes place in room 168 with AP English Language and Composition teacher Donna Amelkin. Lastly, on Thursdays, biology help is provided in room 936 with science teacher Branden Davis.

There are many types of aid provided other than after school options. These include “Ask BRIA,” a virtual tutoring resource for all subjects available via Teams Monday through Thursday from 3:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. You can access this tutoring option by clicking “Ask BRIA” on any student Canvas course, where you will find a breakout Teams link with an MSD teacher ready to help you.

“These tutoring options are excellent ways for students to get help if they are struggling in any subjects to improve their grades or prepare for the EOC’s and FSA’s,” Assistant Principal Daniel Lechtman said.

Lastly, there are also many independent resources, some provided by Broward County Public Schools, available on every student’s Clever page. These include services like Khan Academy, Math Nation, Genius Bar, Quizlet, and even Youtube.