[Opinion] Students should not skip eating breakfast

Tribune News Service

Breakfast is distributed to students in school.m Photo courtesy of Tribute News service

Phiona Smith, Writer

Breakfast is the first meal of the day to get people going. Supplying nutrients and energy, breakfast allows the body to function at its absolute best state.

Eating breakfast provides the body with a significant amount of nutrients compared to just eating regular lunch or dinner. Breakfast foods strongly contain affluent nutrients such as folate, iron, calcium and fiber. There have been many studies that have correlated eating breakfast to good health. Beneficial factors that come with eating breakfast in the morning are improved memory and concentration, lower risks of diabetes and obesity and a lesser likelihood of heart disease.

The approximate ten hours that are taken up by sleep are ten hours that the body has not received food. This period in which the body has not incorporated food is to be broken with breakfast which replenishes energy to the body to fuel the body for the eventful day ahead.

Nutrients are important to the body because they not only provide nourishment, but also support growth and maintenance. Nutrients such as vitamins, carbohydrates, minerals, proteins, fats and flavonoids are all significant to the body. Examples of useful proteins and carbohydrates are whole grains, vegetables, beans and whole fruit which are all suitable examples of what is contained in a healthy breakfast.

Students who skip breakfast are subject to finding it harder to concentrate and perform higher, both physically and academically according to a study conducted by Keith A Wesnes. Health should be the most important thing in a student’s life. Skipping breakfast can normally be rooted in many causes ranging from running late to simply not being hungry. However, breakfast is essential and should not be disregarded.

Not only is it important to eat breakfast, but it is important that students eat a nutritious breakfast. The core assets of a healthy breakfast can contain many assortments: whole grains, low-fat products such as eggs, milk, low sugar yogurts, fruits and vegetables and no sugar added juices.

Eating schedules are just as significant as what you eat. Improper eating times can cause negative effects on mental health as well as physical health. The subordinate energy levels that we experience throughout the day are a consequence of insufficient meal timings. Bad concentration, expanded stress, binge eating and mood swings are all factors of low energy levels that can be experienced when breakfast is skipped.

Students need to stop skipping breakfast and should make time and room for their health and body. In addition to obtaining nutrients, eating breakfast allows controlled blood sugar, better concentration and memory, healthy weight gain and better eating habits. The nutrients come from not only consuming breakfast but consuming a healthy breakfast and incorporating the right foods into the meal.