[Review] Season five of Cobra Kai is action-packed with karate battles and drama

Tribune News Service

Xolo Mariduena, left, and William Zabka in “Cobra Kai.” Photo courtesy of Curtis Bonds Baker/Netflix/Tribune News Service

Ava Jurick, Writer

Cobra Kai, a popular Netflix series, is a sequel to the famous Karate Kid movies and takes place 30 years after the famous battle between Johnny Lawrence and Daniel LaRusso. With the first season of the series being released in 2018, season five was just released on Friday, Sept. 9. Composed of ten episodes, all lasting between 30 to 40 minutes, the new season has pleasantly surprised viewers with an action-packed storyline.

Season five begins with the so-called villain of the series, Terry Silver, played by actor Thomas Ian Griffith, opening Cobra Kai dojos around the California valley, while Miguel Diaz, played by Xolo Maridueña, is off in Mexico searching for his father, Hector.

While Miguel is away, John Kreese, played by Martin Kove, originally the main antagonist from the Karate Kid, was arrested in the finale of season four because he was framed by Terry for attempted murder. Johnny Lawrence, played by William Zabka and Robby Keene, played by Tanner Buchanan, are in search of Miguel. Both Daniel LaRusso, played by Ralph Macchio, and his daughter Sam, played by Marry Mouser, team up with Chozen Toguchi, played byYuji Okumoto, who used to do karate with Daniel to stop Silver’s domination.

Johnny and Robby’s road trip in search of Miguel includes entertaining and heartfelt scenes. However, Miguel’s trip to Mexico seems rushed as it does not go into detail on his journey and only includes a few brief scenes. After Mexico, the relationship between Johnny, Robby and Miguel continues to develop through karate and meaningful talks which develops into a friendship between Robby and Miguel.

Meanwhile, Danny LaRusso decides to close Miyagi Do because he lost the All-Valley tournament. While he is planning his revenge, the students of Cobra Kai and former Myagi Do students continue practice.

Cobra Kai continues to bring back Karate Kid favorites including a previous Karate Kid love interest, Jessica Andrews, played by Robyn Lively. The shock of her arrival brings edge to the series by adding a previous love interest to the mix. In addition to Andrews, Daniel’s former enemy Mike Banres, played by Sean Kanan, reappears.

Furthermore, Samantha and Miugel are on odd terms since Miguel buys Samantha a necklace but they break up before he can give it to her. Amanda LaRusso, played by Courtney Henggeler, and Daniel are also going through some relationship troubles because Amanda is tired of karate and takes the children to stay with her at her mother’s house.

“This season was one of my favorites because it didn’t just include fighting but more action,” senior Kyler Schwartzberg said.

This was my favorite season so far because it dives deeper into the character’s and has developed from light-hearted to a more meaningful show. Seeing how the relationship between Johnny and Robby evolves was the highlight of the season as they became more like family after having a rough relationship in the previous seasons.

The season had overall positive reviews about the cinematography and acting. The minor characters had more depth, including Tory. The audience got to see behind her tough exterior shown in past seasons by seeing her resolve feuds with Samantha and leaving the Cobra Kai dojo. The fight scenes were more dramatic, adding graphic visuals including more blood.

The season finale ends on a cliffhanger, leaving many viewers on the edge of their seats and wanting more. While the show has not yet been officially renewed for season six, the series creator’s express hope that they will be approved to start production soon.

While there may be a slight delay in filming due to another project, Jon Hurwit, one of the show’s creators claims that he is hopeful that there will be “more Cobra Kai on the horizon.” Fans should keep an eye out in the upcoming months to see whether there will be a new season, or the ending will be left open to the viewer’s interpretations. Cobra Kai season five met all of my expectations and then some with multiple storylines.