Tribune News Service
Kiyomi Beauty beauty products are seen Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2019, in downtown Hartford, Connecticut. Photo permission from Kassi Jackson/TNS.

Korean skincare dominates markets for clean and hydrating ingredients

With Korean industries growing, such as K-pop and K-drama, other countries have invested in Korean products. As the desire for the appearance of smooth and glowing skin, also known as “glass skin,” strengthens, the Korean skincare industry has risen in popularity.

In the past three months, this new trend has risen on social media worldwide. According to a Statista worldwide survey, “46.5 percent of respondents stated that Korean beauty products were very popular in their country.” This survey was done to see the global popularity of Korean beauty in different countries, including the United States, India and the United Arab Emirates.

One of Korean skincare companies biggest priorities is to make formulas that foster hydration. Hydration increases the moisture in the skin, leaving it looking smooth, radiant and even in tone. In America, people prioritize cleaning and treating their skin from the outside, focusing on steps like exfoliating. In Korea, however, people believe in nourishing their skin from within.

Another major difference between western skincare products and Korean products is the ingredients used in them. Natural ingredients such as snail mucus and bee venom are commonly used in Korean skincare products.

Snail mucin is used to help the skin retain moisture and bee venom is used to lessen the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, ultimately having an anti-aging effect. According to CNN Underscored, snail mucin is a powerhouse ingredient that moisturizes, acts as a collagen stimulant and calms irritation. Using fewer artificial ingredients, such as fragrances, and more natural ones is a huge priority in the Korean skincare industry that is often overlooked elsewhere.

One of the best-selling skincare products on Amazon is the COSRX Snail 96 Essence serum. The product leaves consumers’ skin feeling “silky smooth” and hydrated. The snail mucins produce great results at only $14.59 for 3.38 fluid ounces. At such an affordable price and given the undeniable quality of the product, it was inevitable that COSRX Snail 96 Essence would become so popular.

According to Refinery29, ceramides and niacinamides are also commonly found in Korean skincare products in order to moisturize and benefit the skin barrier. The skin barrier is the outermost layer of a person’s skin and it regulates water loss, retains moisture and keeps skin hydrated. Additionally, Centella asiatica, an herb that decreases inflammation and swelling, is often present in Korean skincare products.

Not only do most Korean skincare products show effective results, but they are also affordable. This is especially true when compared to other quality skincare products, which tend to be more expensive. A skincare product such as the Supergoop Mineral Mattescreen SPF 40 costs $38 for 1.5 ounces of product, while Innisfree, a Korean-owned and founded cosmetic brand, Daily UV Defense Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 36 costs $16 for 1.69 ounces of product.

Currently, one of the best-selling toners on Amazon is from a Korean skincare line. Anya Heartleaf 77% Soothing Toner has been making a name for itself outside of Korea.

“I initially bought the toner because of the good reviews I saw on Amazon, and after using it for a while,” senior Bella Wong said. “I have seen very accurate results from those reviews.”

The Anya Heartleaf Toner is soothing, hydrating and PH-balancing. Reviews have deemed it to be a good-quality, affordable skincare product that shows genuine results. Many people, like Wong, have seen their skin texture improve, validating the product’s effectiveness.

Many western skincare companies claim that their products are hydrating, yet they lack the results to back it up. For example, the popular skincare brand Mario Bedescu has seen significant backlash on their lotions for drying out skin instead of hydrating it. However, Korean skincare has shown consistent, accurate and effective results.

It is evident that Korean skincare products have evolved from being Korean favorites to worldwide favorites. These products have been highly praised, gaining a following that consists of people with drastically different skin types. The game-changing Korean skincare products focus on the daily beauty regimens of cleansing, balancing and hydrating the skin, as well as sealing it with serums and moisturizers.