Students can celebrate holidays in ways other than gift giving

Americans spend $875 on average on gifts, decorations, food and other seasonal items. However, there are alternatives to excessive consumerism during the holidays.
Consumerism in the U.S. is big around the holidays

The holiday giving season is filled with people searching for  the perfect gift to give to their loved ones. While this is a popular form of giving to some, others prefer making the holiday season a time to give back to their communities. This is often done through homemade gifts, charity donations and volunteering activities. Though these do not reflect the only ways to spend the holiday season, they can offer other ways to celebrate. The spirit of the holidays can serve as a reminder that there are other ways to celebrate the holidays that do not revolve on a consumer driven market.

Americans spend $875 on average on gifts, decorations, food and other seasonal items. However, there are alternatives to excessive consumerism during the holidays. (Rayne Welser)
Students can participate in charitable activities to give back during holiday season

Cheers for Charity
Donating Food and Clothing

During the holidays many people donate their time and money to organizations and charities to help out people who are less fortunate. Some may donate food or clothing to drives as well as gifts to specific charities for others to receive.

Adopt a Family

Adopt a Family is a charitable event run by different foundations where one can support a family in need. Participants, or adopters, provide assistance by fulfilling the family’s wishlist, which can include buying toys, groceries or basic hygiene products.

Toys for Tots

Toys for Tots is a charity program run by the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve that collects and distributes unopened toys for less fortunate children. To get involved, donate toys at a local collection drive or give money on the Toys for Tots website.

Holiday Cards

Many people make holiday cards for their teachers, friends and people in hospitals or retirement homes. The gift provides a simple way to show appreciation for whoever they are giving it to.

Pullquote Photo

I volunteer at soup kitchens and donate warm clothes to people in need. I do it because I like helping poeple and it makes me feel good to know I can help contribute.

— freshman Elana Kurman

Pullquote Photo

Through my church, we do annual Christmas toy drives for children in need. It’s always one of the highlights of the holiday season to know that I am helping kids that are less fortunate than me.

— sophomore Isabella John

Students can create their own festive DIY gifts
Step by Step

This story was originally published in the December 2023 Eagle Eye print edition.