[Review] Kubo Asian Fusion & Bar serves tasty food at new Coral Springs location

Kubo Asian Fusion customers can enjoy Beef Bulgogi or Chicken Tempura Bao Buns for $10.95 a plate. The dishes feature a fluffy bao bun with beef or chicken stuffed in the middle, topped with a sprinkle of scallions.
Caitlin Wong

The second location of the popular Asian fusion restaurant Kubo Asian Fusion & Bar has opened in Coral Springs on University Drive. The menu consists of Thai, Filipino, Japanese and other types of Asian food fusion and it was all absolutely delicious.

The restaurant has a welcoming patio dining area, a spacious indoor dining area and a bar situated in the center. The restaurant is in its soft opening period but is expected to have its grand opening in the coming weeks.

The space was filled with a family-dining and sports bar atmosphere because of the sizable bar in the center and TV on the back of the bar. The lighting was comfortable and inviting, as well as being quieter than most restaurants with bars.

The food arrived fast, with beautiful presentations and perfect details on each plate. The server was very friendly and helpful with everything. She gave us time to browse through the menu, answered all questions with detailed explanations and recommendations and was quick to serve the food.

As a fusion restaurant, the menu is expected to offer a variety of options, such as sushi, soups and salads, poke bowls, ramen and other exotic cuisines. For our appetizers, we took the server’s recommendation to try the bao in two different ways: tempura chicken and beef bulgogi.

I was expecting tempura chicken to be dry and tough, but to my surprise, the chicken was juicy and tender inside while perfectly crispy on the outside. The eel sauce and spicy mayo gave it a flavor that was just enough of a boost to send it over the top. It exceeded my expectations. The beef bulgogi bao was a delicious, flavorful treat that I could not put down until completely finishing the whole thing. The buns were moist and fluffy at the same time, complimenting the beef wonderfully.

Kubo has an extensive sushi menu that covers rolls from the traditional California roll to an exquisite lobster roll and impressive sushi boats. It was impossible to sample the whole menu in one visit, but we ordered the unagi roll and salmon sushi. The fish was fresh and tasty, like you would expect from any renowned Japanese restaurant.

The crispy duck under their House Specialty section made me fall in love with the flavors of duck all over again. The duck was prepared with crispy skin but melted in my mouth with tons of flavors. It was the perfect balance of salty and spicy. This was another recommendation by the server and undeniably a winner on the menu as well.

The Kubo ramen we ordered was more of an acquired taste. We were expecting a broth with ramen and traditional ingredients, but it was a thick curry-based broth. The ramen broth had a hint of coconut and peanut, making it sweet and spicy. The restaurant has a few ramen options, so I would like to go back and try the others.

All of the food I tried was delicious and I would definitely go back to try more. I would definitely recommend Kubo Asian Fusion & Bar to friends and family.