Tribune News Service
Taylor Swift “Eras Tour” merchandise at the AMC Theatre at Monmouth Mall in Eatontown, New Jersey, Oct. 12, 2023. Photo permission from Bobby Olivier/TNS.

[Review] Taylor Swift’s ‘The Eras Tour Movie’ thrills fans with cinematic visuals and nostalgic songs

Every seat in the movie theater is filled with fans, buzzing with excitement to see global pop star Taylor Swift’s new movie. There are popcorn buckets, cups, light-up wands and friendship bracelets adorned with Swift’s iconic Eras Tour logo. This is just part of the fun happening for fans around the world attending Swift’s “The Eras Tour Movie.”

Swift started her worldwide tour, “The Eras Tour,” on March 17, 2023 and ends on Nov. 23, 2024. The concerts take her fans through her music career with 44 songs that span over 17 years of her career. Included in the 44 songs, two songs on what she calls her “acoustic set” are changed every night to surprise the audience.

Her movie set covers 41 of the 44 songs sung on tour, but something special about the movie is that she includes a song from every album. Swift does not include songs from her debut album “Taylor Swift” in her setlist. However, in the movie, she features the song “Our Song” from the album so the movie could include songs from all 10 of her albums.

Opening night for Swift’s movie was set for Friday, Oct. 13; however, the day before the showing, Swift released a post announcing she would be adding additional for an early release on Thursday, Oct. 12th. As the movie was officially released on Thursday night, it has been estimated that it is set to make between $100 million and $125 million during the opening weekend and has already made 2.8 million just in previews, according to Variety Magazine.

Many theaters did special things for the release of the movie, from extra signage for pictures to handing out posters and balloon arch decorations. Out of all theater companies showing the movie, AMC sold the most merchandise. AMC theaters sold tote bags and light up wands to go with the popcorn buckets and cups. Cinemark handed out posters to anyone viewing the movie and sprinkled pink glitter on popcorn when ordered in buckets.

One of the amazing things about the movie is that it showcases different angles, so you can see different views that you would not get from staying in a seat at the concert. The film shows close-ups on the floor and views of the whole stage that could be seen in the nosebleeds.

Another unique aspect of the movie is the special effects added in editing. For example, during the “Reputation” era of the concert, an animated snake wraps around the stage before Swift’s entrance. The effects add a cinematic aspect to the movie that viewers could enjoy and admire.

When it comes to Swift’s fans, Swifties, passion is not something to shy away from. Fans around the world have been treating this movie as if it were a real concert. Many fans choose to stand up, dance, sing and have fun with friends or just other fans in the theater. However, many fans are debating whether this should be allowed. For many Swifties, it is part of the fun, making the atmosphere energetic and lively. To others, it can be seen as annoying and obnoxious.

Many people went into the theater as strangers and came out as friends. Everyone in the theater for “The Eras Tour Movie” shares a common interest: Taylor Swift. The show is a magical experience for fans all around the world looking to enjoy her concert. Fans bonded over outfits, friendship bracelets and the love they have for Swift.

From trading friendship bracelets with people in the movie theater to dressing up in outfits from music videos, “The Eras Tour Movie” is an opportunity for fans to see the full concert again from different perspectives, or even for the first time. The cinematic shots of Swift hitting the high notes in “Don’t Blame Me” and the emotional scenes of the crowd waving the phone lights to “Marjory” brought the concert experience to a whole new level.