Tribune Content Agency
As a school in the Football Bowl Subdivision, Temple will be featured in EA Sports release of its popular College Football Game. Eligible players will receive a $600 stipend and a copy of the game in exchange for their name, image and likeness. Photo permission from Heather Khalifa/TNS.

EA Sports announces new College Football game for the first time eleven years

EA Sports recently released a teaser trailer for a new college football video game. A college football video game has not been made in over a decade, and was originally named NCAA college football, but has since changed to “EA Sports College Football.” The first announcement of the game in Feb. 2021 was unexpected, but it gave hope to fans of the older college football games, such as NCAA Football 14 and NCAA Football 13.

College football has always been one of the most watched sports in all of America. From the iconic teams to the well-known chants, loyal fans of all teams have been wanting a new CFB game.

“I was so excited when I heard that the game was coming out,” junior Lucas Siqueria said. “There hasn’t been a game in so long and I never thought it would actually come out again.”

A game has not come out since the summer of 2013 due to a lawsuit regarding player likeness against the NCAA. Due to the new Name, Image, Likeness rules, college athletes can make money and gain endorsements off of their NIL. A report recently came out saying that EA would pay each player a set $600 and a copy of the game once it was released.

Despite current Air Force, Army and Navy football players not being allowed to accept NIL deals, they will still be in the game as EA has been working on a separate form of compensation for them. Players can turn it down and opt out of the game, but that is highly unlikely considering most football players grew up playing college football games. Some players will have the opportunity to make even more money off of extra NIL deals with EA, such as by posing as the cover athlete and promoting the game on social media.

It has been confirmed that all 134 Football Bowl Subdivision teams will be playable in the game, with Football Championship Subdivision teams being added later on. Confirmed modes in the game are Road to Glory, a career mode; Ultimate Team; and Dynasty Mode, where you can choose a team and control almost every aspect of the team.

Colleges and universities have also been sharing uniform combinations, stadium chants, campuses, and anything to do with their schools to make the game as realistic and in depth as possible. There have been five confirmed former and current ESPN personalities, with names such as Kirk Herbstreit, Chris Fowler, David Pollack, Jesse Palmer and Kevin Connors.

The game will release on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S, and the full gameplay trailer will drop in May. The game has been announced to come out in the summer, with no exact date yet.