Alison LaTorre
No plot books, also known as slice-of-life books, allow readers to experience their world through new eyes. Authors create a world in which readers can connect with their characters on a personal level.

Books with unapparent plots allow readers to immerse into a fictional world

No plot books, also known as slice-of-life novels, are taking over readers’ bookshelves. These books focus on the experiences characters have on a daily basis rather than a traditional rising action, climax, and falling action story line. Although these books have been around for decades, they have been gaining popularity because of BookTok, a niche side of TikTok where users discuss and recommend books.

No plot books have been described as boring by many readers, but those who read them appreciate the writing because it is relatable. Authors dive into a normal world and create relatable characters that people can relate to.

Book lovers have also been praising the style of writing by saying, “No plot, just vibes.” Many no plot books contain serious material; however, some are satirical, like “My Year of Rest and Relaxation” by Ottessa Moshfegh. The book explains the main character’s self-sedating process to put herself to sleep for a year. The novel contains no plot but draws readers in with humorous writing and an intriguing main character.

No plot books lack an external plot, but make up for it with insightful internal monologues. Authors focus on their characters and create an in depth character that readers can connect with. When authors write action-packed novels, there tends to be a loss of character arc or description, which makes it hard to connect with or even enjoy the story.

The no plot genre has even expanded to movie adaptations and movies in general. “Call Me by Your Name” by André Aciman was written in 2007 and adapted into a film in 2017. Both the novel and the film gained substantial popularity in 2020 and 2024 because of BookTok. The story takes place in the summer of 1983 and follows two men in their summer fling; however, the majority of the plot is internal monologues from the main character, Elio. The film follows the same no plot story, mostly bringing in viewers for the cinematography and character development.

“Normal People” by Sally Rooney, which is another no plot novel and television show, focuses on two people in a relationship that revolves around miscommunication. The show follows Connell and Marianne throughout their high school, college and adult lives but does not follow a significant timeline or storyline. While some say that this allowed the show to feel more natural and less scripted, “Normal People” received criticism about being boring and slow. Yet, many viewers enjoyed the heartfelt messages and lessons learned from the show.

No plot stories have been adopted by many famous directors. Greta Gerwig, a popular director who directed films like “Barbie,” “Ladybird” and “Little Women,” has incorporated the no plot genre into her directing technique and storyline development. “Ladybird,” released in 2017, follows the day-to-day life of the main character, Lady Bird, during her senior year. Similar to “Call Me by Your Name,” “Ladybird” gained immense popularity on TikTok due to the no plot genre and popularity of the actors in the film.

The storytelling of no plot books depicts characters as people are, which is flawed and sometimes unappealing. While no plot books might diminish the escapism some readers require, they allow others to reflect on themselves and their lives. The books let readers become consumed in a story with beautiful writing and a different world, but the external plots are more intimate, and the internal plot lets readers see the world through the characters’ eyes.

While no plot books are not for everyone, the popularity of the genre is justified as they are unpredictable, similar to the reader’s life, which allows them to connect to characters and relate to situations happening to them. Readers are immersed in the author’s world, experiencing their own world through new eyes.