Sisters: Movie Review

imagesThe highly anticipated comedy film Sisters, directed by Jason Moore, who also famously directed Pitch Perfect 1 and Pitch Perfect 2, was released Dec.18, 2015.

Sisters is centered around two siblings, Maura, played by Amy Poehler, and Kate, played by Tina Fey, who are not happy about finding out that their parents are selling their childhood home. To their dismay, the two sisters are informed that they have only one weekend to clean up their shared bedroom from their youth. This, however, causes them to relish their memories of the house after stumbling upon their past diaries.

When reading through the diaries, it becomes apparent that the newly divorced and commonly seen “party mom,” Maura, does not share the same exciting experiences that the frequent partier, Kate, does. This discovery leads the siblings to decide to throw one last party with their ex-high school classmates, so Maura can finally have her time for recklessness in their parents’ soon-to-be sold house.

The sister’s party gets, by far, the most screen time out of any setting in the movie. In that time, viewers are likely to recognize at least one of the party goers from their other work, as the film contains hilarious cameos from many celebrities, including John Cena, Kate McKinnon, Maya Rudolph, Rachel Dratch, and John Leguizamo.

A romance begins to bloom between Maura and a younger man names James, played by Ike Barinholtz. The interactions between the two are consistently priceless, as Maura attempts to awkwardly flirt with James throughout much of the film. Whenever Maura and James share a scene, whether with others or alone together, the audience can’t help but feel secondhand embarrassment.

Now, when you get Amy and Tina together in a movie, Tina is generally the good girl and Amy is the girl who cannot get it together. The fun of Sisters is the reversal of roles. Amy plays a goody-two-shoes divorced nurse, while Tina plays the wild, irresponsible sister who has never quite gotten her act together. As the film progresses, the sisters’ close relationship begins to fall apart, as secrets begin to surface and hilariously dumb decisions are made.

Any project that involves Amy Poehler and Tina Fey is likely to be fantastic. Both actresses have brilliant comedic timing and acting skills on their own, but when put together, they can create something even greater. So, even although the film was by no means their best work, it still managed to be hilarious largely due to the undeniable chemistry between Poehler and Fey.

The one hour and 58 minute film, packed with a variety of hilarious characters and story lines, as well as an endless stream of cringe worthy mistakes, had the audience laughing all the way through.