The return of annual fall trends reintroduce seasonal spirit

Carolina Lozano

As autumn approaches, many annual fall trends, such as pumpkin spice and crewnecks, are making a comeback.

Bailey Carter, Writer

As the weather cools down and the scent of pumpkin spice drifts through the air, it is clear that fall has finally arrived. With fall officially beginning on Wednesday, Sept. 22, many individuals are in the mood to bring on the seasonal spirit.

With life slowly transitioning to normalcy again, we can expect fall to be much more exhilarating than last year. While fall of 2020 featured staying home and working online due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this year is filled with an abundance of exciting fall trends. These include crafting delicious pumpkin dishes and attempting new fashion trends.

As a result of the subtle chill entering the air, several summer clothing trends are beginning to go out of style in preparation for fall. In comparison to summer’s bright colors and patterns, fall fashion consists more of deep colors like red, brown, yellow and orange.

Clothing items like sweaters and jackets become typical fall favorites in response to the chilly weather. Crewneck sweatshirts, a type of shirt or sweatshirt that has a round neckline and no collar, are very popular this year. Denim is also expected to be one of the most worn styles this fall.

Additionally, a variety of jeans such as mom jeans, skinny jeans and flared jeans are all expected to be widely worn this season. Jean jackets are also regaining popularity, which will be more seen as we move farther into the season.

Rising in popularity, due to both the recent 2000s fashion fads and colder weather, sweater vests have become a fall sensation. Colors like beige and light yellows have become popular in comparison to past years. Brown and black converse, and Nike Air Jordans are perfect shoes to match with trendy fall outfits.

“I think this fall’s fashion trends are very fitting for the season since these clothes are super comfortable and keep you warm without being too hot,” Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School sophomore Alexis Gonzales said.

Clothing stores like Pacsun, Hollister and Urban Outfitters are all favored stores among teenagers. These trendy stores are all beginning to push out their fall collections, making these places perfect for those who want to join in on the fall fashion trends.

Decorating the house for fall is also something special that people enjoy doing to celebrate the season. Popular stores like HomeGoods, Target and Hobby Lobby have all released their seasonal home decor. With everything from pumpkin candles to seasonal doormats, these stores offer a variety of decor.

“My mom always decorates the house for fall, putting out pumpkins, lights, and scented candles,” junior Sophia Vulgaris said. “We typically find fall decor from places like HomeGoods and Target.”

This season’s trending decor features classic orange colors, mixed with modern farmhouse accents. The “Modern Farmhouse” style combines contemporary, rustic and industrial styles into one look. The look usually includes soft colors and distressed finishes, which mixes into the perfect warm fall look.

Iconic decorations, like pumpkins, wreaths and candles, all remain as the most popular autumn decor. Decor like wreaths can even be made yourself, using a variety of materials like mesh, ribbons, twine and even more basic materials you can find around the house, such as hot glue, flowers and leaves.

When people think of fall, many think of the variety of seasonal foods. With everything between apple pies, casseroles and pumpkin cookies, this season has a diverse amount of dishes.

One of the most popularly recognized fall flavors is pumpkin spice. The beloved seasoning is made of nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice and ginger. The pumpkin spice flavor is commonly found in dessert dishes like pies and cupcakes, along with coffees.

“A fall flavor I definitely enjoy most is pumpkin spice. It was my go-to before I stopped drinking coffee,” English teacher Sarah Howell said. “Other fall foods like caramel apples and apple cider are also really delicious as well.”

The iconic pumpkin flavors definitely aren’t the only loved autumn flavors. Apple flavored foods and dishes offer the perfect fall feel for people who are not a fan of pumpkin spice. Apple pies, ciders and caramel apples are all loved among people of any age.

Whether it’s the feast of pumpkin spice and apple cinnamon dishes, or the diverse amount of fashion trends as the temperature gets cooler, fall certainly has something for everyone to enjoy.