MSD takes part in this year’s Red Ribbon Week from Oct. 25-29

Quinn Braun

To raise awareness for the Red Ribbon initiative, peer counselors visited classrooms and had students write their names on pieces of red paper, which they attached and strung throughout the cafeteria.

Ashveen Saini, Social Media Editor

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School held Red Ribbon Week from Monday, Oct. 25 through Friday, Oct. 29. During this week, students participated in the different spirit days to bring awareness and celebrate the meaning of Red Ribbon Week.

Red Ribbon is a tobacco, alcohol and other drug prevention awareness campaign that takes place in the month of October from the 23rd to the 31th. This week began when drug traffickers in Mexico City murdered Drug Enforcement Administration agent Kiki Camarena in 1985. The week then became a tradition in which the symbol of the red ribbon was created, and is now used to show support for the movement.

Annually, students and peer counselors participate in a special activity for Red Ribbon Week. Students wrote their name on a red piece of paper as a pledge to never partake in drugs. The red ribbons were then chained together and strung throughout the cafeteria.

Red Ribbon Week also showcased different days with daily themes to show school spirit and promote a safe, healthy and drug-free life.

“I participated on Monday by wearing a team shirt,” freshman Emma Klein said. “I did it to show my support towards the campaign and so it gained awareness.”

Monday, Oct. 25. was “Team up against drugs day” in which students and teachers dressed up in their favorite sports teams attire. Tuesday, Oct. 26 was “Sock it to drugs day” in which students and teachers wore mismatched, crazy or colorful socks. Wednesday, Oct. 27 was “Wear red day” in which students and teachers wore red to show support for the movement. Thursday, Oct. 28 was “Blackout dress day” in which students and teachers participated in the day by wearing black. Friday, Oct. 29 was “Say boo day” in which students dressed up in school-appropriate Halloween attire.

“I wore my Halloween costume to advocate for this campaign,” junior Noldine Belizaire said. “I decided to participate in this year’s red ribbon week because I have seen what drug substances have done to people around me and want to spread awareness.”

Red Ribbon Week is celebrated throughout millions of schools nationwide to garner and show their support against drugs and alcohol. This campaign helps students at school engage in the saying of “no drugs” and show their support through various activities.