Students enjoy locally produced foods at the Parkland Farmers’ Market every other Sunday

Julia Landy

Students purchase açaí bowls from local business Sweet Bledz Açaí at the Parkland Farmer’s Market on Nov. 7.

Julia Landy, Editor-in-Chief, Graphics & Design Editor

From empanadas to smoothies, from acai to cider doughnuts, the Parkland Farmers’ Market has “food for everyone,” as Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School freshman Max Liechtenstein said.

This fall, the city of Parkland has resumed their seasonal bi-weekly farmers’ market. Evident by the long line on Holmberg Road leading up to the Equestrian Center, many community members attended the first market of the season.

Parkland has been hosting these markets since 2006, making this the 15th season. This season will have 12 markets, some of which will feature events such as a craft fair, a health and wellness section and a business expo.

This season’s first market, however, did not include any of these extra events, and took place on Nov. 6 at the Equestrian Center. Future markets will occur every other Sunday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. until April 24.

For students, the Parkland Farmers’ Market acts as a way to engage with their community in a fun, culture-filled, outdoor setting. Senior Katie Peterson, who, like many students, attended the market with a group, enjoyed the nice weather and the opportunity to sample different foods.

“I like to try all the local businesses,” Peterson said. “I think it’s really fun getting to see everyone in one local place. You see people from school and everywhere else in the neighborhood.”

In addition to locally grown crops, vendors sell an assortment of products including baked goods, coffee, prepared foods, oils, cheeses and even pet treats. MSD students like to attend the market because of all the locally produced foods. Students report their favorite booths being Sweet Blendz Açaí, Simply Perfect Java, Seaside Smoothies, Doctor Pickle and Fresh Cider Donuts, which had a line of over 35 people during the first market.

“I like getting to interact with all the salespeople,” senior Alexis Miller said. “I really like [the market] because you get to try all kinds of food and you get to see your friends here.”

At the Parkland Farmers’ Market, students and community members are able to purchase locally produced food from a variety of different cultures including Singaporian, Peruvian, Cuban and more.

One such booth is Mimo’s, which sells Peruvian alfajores, a type of sandwich cookie. MSD sophomore Emma Hershenson helps out at this booth in support of her neighbor, Jessica Sams, the owner of Mimo’s.

“[The farmers’ market does] a lot [for my business] because the people that come here are local and I can tell that they like to support local producers and local vendors,” Sams said. “I wish there were more vendors to make this bigger, and they should make it every Sunday.”

As the fall season begins, students, vendors and community members alike are looking forward to a successful and continuous farmers’ market season.