Relay For Life held at MSD celebrating 35 year anniversary

Cypress Northcraft, Writer

The Relay For Life project held their annual run to support The American Cancer Society. The event took place Saturday, April 1, at 4:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. on the track at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

MSD clubs, such as DECA and Key Club, were at the event to participate in the run. This year’s theme was Hollywood and there was food to purchase at the event.

After the opening ceremony at 4:40 p.m., the race began. Different performances and activities occurred during the relay, such as Chicago Medley Performance and Jazz Band Performance.

Many participants participate annually as they are personally connected to the cause. Race participant and Relay Event Lead Gayle Morell has been attending races for almost twenty years after her and those close to her have overcome cancer themselves.

“I began attending the Relay eighteen years ago to support my cousin who had survived cancer twice,” Morell said. “Since then, in 2012 I received my own diagnosis, my father is coming up on his three year cancer-versary. It’s become my personal mission to support Relay.”

MSD students attended the event as well to support the race. This is the second year the run has been held at MSD. 

“The race means a lot to me because it helps support funding for cancer research,” freshman Owen Sarrazit said. “My family has a history with cancer, so to help contribute to the research means a lot.”

The American Cancer Society Relay For Life movement is the world’s largest peer-to-peer fundraising event dedicated to saving lives from cancer. For over 35 years, communities across the world have come together to honor and remember loved ones and take action for lifesaving change. Funds raised through Relay For Life directly support breakthrough research, support for cancer patients, access to lifesaving screenings and much more.

The closing ceremony was at 9:00 p.m.

The movement has saved 2.5 million lives already, but is just getting started. From this event, Relay For Life was able to raise a total of $95,000 to donate towards cancer research at The American Cancer Society.