Categories:

MSD JV football team loses to Monarch High School in first game of the season

Defensive Back Ra'Cari Dorsainvill (34) makes the effort to come up with a tackle on the play. MSD held the opposing team to zero first quarter points.
Defensive Back Ra’Cari Dorsainvill (34) makes the effort to come up with a tackle on the play. MSD held the opposing team to zero first quarter points.
Lily Chamberlin

On Wednesday Sept. 4, at 6 p.m., the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School JV football team played against Monarch High School. It was their first home game of the season, after last week’s game on Aug. 28 was canceled due to weather.

“The team did an amazing job especially for being the first game of the season,” wide receiver Lucas Ortiz (51) said.

MSD kicked off to Monarch to start the first quarter. Monarch received the ball and began to move the ball down the field. On the fourth down, Monarch took a risk by going for the first down instead of punting, but it ended up giving MSD possession of the ball.

After Monarch was able to score a touchdown, the team went for a two-point conversion and the Douglas defense held them from converting. At the end of the first quarter, the score was 6-0, with Monarch in the lead.

During the second quarter, the score stayed idle. Neither side was able to capitalize on their opportunities, with defenses holding strong and preventing any points from being put on the board. Then, past halftime, and after a team huddle in which the players were able to exchange words of encouragement and plan for the third quarter, the Eagles began a comeback.

“Our team was very hyped up and had great sportsmanship overall,” Ortiz said.

In the third quarter, the Eagles rallied back with a touchdown pass caught by tight end Jordan Waskowiak (88). Kicker Valentino Mira (21) scored the extra point, helping the Eagles take their first lead of the game at 6-7.

Captain Jake Albano (7) received the ball on a snap and ran down the left side of the field, scoring a touchdown. After scoring the extra point, the Eagles were leading by 6-14.

The Douglas defense worked hard to control the lead. Leading the charge was pass rusher Keegan Lake (40), who showcased his strength and agility by recording a crucial sack. The defense’s coordinated effort was a key factor in holding on to the lead. By later in the quarter though, Monarch was able to take advantage of the game.

Monarch came back, scored a touchdown and made a two-point conversion, which raised their score to 14-14, tied with the Eagles.

In the fourth quarter, Monarch started out with another touchdown, but failed to score any extra points. Monarch scored another late game touchdown, where they tried and failed a two-point, and with the final quarter coming to an end, their team took the win.

Even at the loss, the Eagles expressed optimism.

“The team came together as a group, and although [our] head coach Baldwin wasn’t there, we still put on a great game and I know we made him proud,” Ortiz said.

The game proved to be a difficult one for the Eagles, who ended up losing by a score of 14-26, but the team is keeping their heads up and staying confident. They are preparing for their next game against Cypress Bay High School on Sept. 11.

About the Contributors
Isabella Hogan, Reporter
Isabella Hogan is a sophomore at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. She is a first-year reporter who enjoys sketching, reading, being outdoors and herpetology.
Lily Chamberlin, Reporter
Lily Chamberlin is a freshman at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. She enjoys hanging out with her friends, playing softball, watching movies and listening to music. She is a first-year reporter.
Alina Pickrell, Reporter
Alina Pickrell is a sophomore at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. She enjoys reading and taking pictures in her free time.
$655
$1200

$655
$1200