Mia Pappalardo
MSD varsity baseball seniors Alex Rodriguez, Rylan Lujo, Niko Benestad and Devin Fitz-Gerald sign off to college. The four seniors will be playing their fourth and final year on the team in hopes to get their fourth ring.

Four baseball seniors prepare for their fourth and final season

Four seniors on the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School varsity baseball team, first- baseman Nikolas Benestad (6), outfielder Alex Rodriguez (13), shortstop Devin Fitz-Gerald (3) and third-baseman Rylan Lujo (14), have begun to play their fourth and final year on the team. Unlike most players, the four seniors have been playing on varsity since their freshman year of high school.

“Every athlete going into high school wants to play at the varsity level for all four years and I’ve been blessed enough to do so,” Lujo said.

Being on the team for the whole four years of high school, the boys have worked hard and have accomplished being state champions for three consecutive years, resulting in them collecting three winning rings.

“It’s been a great experience between winning three state and national championships and also all the guys I got the chance to play with,” Rodriguez said.

As the seniors on the team, the boys set an example for their younger teammates. Spending so much time together, they have been able to create a strong bond with each other, creating chemistry on and off the field.

“I am so excited to see how this season will be; this group of the four of us have been through all four years together and we have become like a family,” Fitzgerald said.

All four boys have committed to college for baseball and have officially signed as of November 2023. Fitz-Gerald will be attending North Carolina State University, Rodriguez will be attending the University of Central Florida, Benestad will be attending the University of South Florida and Lujo will be attending the University of Dayton.

‘It’s been a great experience between winning three state and national championships and also all the guys I got the chance to play with.” Rodriguez said. “It has impacted me in a positive way by giving me a chance to go to college to further my academics, but also get to play the sport I love.”

The Eagles have already started their season off strong and are currently undefeated with a record of 7-0. Finishing off their last season, the seniors hope to end this one with a fourth ring on their finger.