MSD Jazz Band performs at winter concert

Senior Jameson Cohen is playing his trumpet during the Jazz band concert on Thursday.

Delaney Walker, Social media editor

The concert began with Matt Calderin, the director of jazz bands, introducing the band and the name of the piece they were about to play. It then consisted of many different pieces of music, including “Song for My Father,” “Flying Home” and “Tribute to the Duke.”  

After each piece concluded, Calderin would speak to the audience once again and then the same process would continue until the band finished performing every piece they had planned to play.

“The highlight of the night was Jazz Band 1’s Tequila arrangement based on the popular Mexican Tune,” freshman Kean Adair said.  

The two bands consisted of a mix of all grade levels ranging from freshman to seniors. Each student had an extremely important role with many student soloist throughout the night, especially in the piece “Flying Home.”

“I love the amount of progress Jazz Band 2’s made from the first concert to now. ‘Flying Home’ was their best piece,” junior Liam Robles said. 

Every piece was unique in their own way and all had different meanings to the audience.

“My favorite part of the concert was getting to watch all of the solos,” sophomore Nicolette Gulla said. 

The next band concert will take place on Thursday, Dec. 12 at 7 p.m. in the school’s auditorium for $10.