Lucky’s Markets to close all around Florida

All Lucky’ Markets in Florida are now closing down. Photo by Kelly Cooke.

Lucky’s Market is a food supermarket known for selling organic fruits and vegetables. On Jan. 21, 2020, it was announced that by Feb. 12, 2020, 32 of their stores in Florida will be closed.

Many people are confused as to why these stores will be closing. Lucky’s Market shoppers rely on the store to produce healthy and fresh foods.

“The closures come after supermarket chain Kroger announced in December that it was divesting its ownership share of Lucky’s,” a Wesh 2 News article said

The stores opened their doors in Florida in 2016. South Florida currently has Lucky’s Markets located all around the Coral Springs, Oakland Park and Plantation areas. The only store that will remain open after Feb. 12, 2020, is located in West Melbourne.

More Lucky’s Market stores were planned to be open in Miami, Dania Beach, Delray Beach, Boca Raton, Port St. Lucie, Lake Mary, Bonita Springs, Cape Coral, Fort Myers, Port Charlotte, Venice, Brandon and Clearwater. These stores are no longer being created. 

“My mom loves Lucky’s Market and is very disappointed that they are closing down. She loved the fresh fruits and vegetables, along with their very flavored meats,” junior Hailey Hung said. 

One unique perk that this supermarket offered was that shoppers were encouraged to “sip ’n’ stroll,” which was known as shopping for groceries while also enjoying a cold beer or wine. Cup holders were even installed on the shopping carts for this purpose.

Many Floridians on social media platforms such as Twitter are not happy about the closings. Some tweets such as, “Lucky’s Market is closing??? NOOO. This is seriously not okay. We need to get them a new investor or something, maybe a petition,” show that many people are dissatisfied with their closure.

“My mom goes to Lucky’s Market every weekend to get her supply of groceries. She will be very upset to hear that they are closing down,” sophomore Hayden Redshaw said.

Lucky’s Market has only been open in Florida for about two years, but over these two years, shoppers have grown to love this food market. The closing of these stores is very disappointing to many.