Broward County Public Schools e-store crashes during second allotment of homecoming tickets

Haley Jackson

A large amount of users trying to access the e-store to buy homecoming tickets crashed the system.

Haley Jackson, Section editor

On Thursday, Aug. 26, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School administration announced homecoming week would be held Monday, Sept. 13 to Friday, Sep. 17 with the 2021 homecoming dance on Saturday, Sep. 18 at the Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa.

The original plan for ticket sales was to start selling tickets via the e-store on Friday, Aug. 27 for $75 for until Friday, Sep. 3. On Sep. 3, the price would increase to $85 until tickets sold out. This sale, a total of 800 tickets, was going to be the only allotment of homecoming tickets; however, tickets were sold out in a matter of hours. Administration decided to add a limited number of tickets to sell on Tuesday, Aug. 31 at 7:00 p.m.

On Aug. 31, students were unable to purchase homecoming tickets because the Broward County Public Schools’ e-store crashed. The crash was due to an overload of users on the website, and no IT workers were present at district headquarters at 7 p.m. to reboot the e-store. With many students disappointed, MSD administration quickly informed parents and students that they would announce a revised sale date in the near future.

On Sep. 1, Principal Michelle Kefford announced that more tickets will go on sale on Sep 9. The school is currently unaware of the specific time the district will put the tickets on sale, so administration recommends frequently checking the e-store throughout Sep. 9 if a specific time is not issued before then.